Grazing the Net
Greg Henderson and Friends
Our editors spend some time roaming the web looking for stuff cattle people and others in agriculture might find useful or entertaining.
Jul 02, 2014
Well, we finally got to hear from Chipotle yesterday, and it was kind of what you’d expect from their burritos: lots of flair but lacking in meat. AgriTalk’s Mike Adams visited with Chris Arnold, communications director for Chipotle, on the company’s purchases of Australian beef and advertising campaigns that have belittled modern agriculture. Out of the conversation we learned that Chipotle has trademarked the phrase "responsibly raised beef," so they’re allowed to have any definition for their product they want. Additionally, only 23% of a beef carcass is used by Chipolte, meaning producers have to find a way to get value out of that remaining 77%. That doesn’t sound very responsible to us.
While the conversation on AgriTalk may have stopped yesterday, it is still brewing on Twitter. After it was announced that Texas’ Ag Commissioner would be on the show last week NCBA’s Daren Williams aka @REAL_BEEFMAN told Chris Arnold aka @ChipotleMedia to listen to the program. Luckily that engagement led to Arnold coming on AgriTalk a few days later, but it also led to some interesting back and forth between those two and Dr. Jude Capper aka @Bovidiva. One of our favorite moments happens when @Bovidiva probes @ChipotleMedia about their new policy, "So Chipotle offering to engage in dialogue with Texas beef doesn't actually mean anything will change." (More #ChipotleLies)
Dr. Capper shares more of her opinion on Chipotle’s Aussie beef move in a recent blog post. You can get the message a little clearer from the blog than 140 characters on Twitter will allow.
The world’s largest restaurant chain needs to do a little work in the kitchen; that’s what a survey of more than 32,000 consumers indicates anyway. Consumer Reports’ fast food survey ranked McDonald’s below 20 other burger chains. At the top of the burger list were restaurants that have been associated with quality over quantity, like In-N-Out Burger, Five Guys and Smashburger. "More and more, food quality—not just low price—is emerging as a deciding factor for many Americans," says Tod Marks, senior projects editor for Consumer Reports. The message for McDonald’s from consumers looks more like "I’m hatin’ it."
No Dog Days Here
The dog days of summer are nowhere to be found with profits continuing to increase for both cattle and hog producers.
Cash prices for fed cattle are nearly $35 per cwt. higher than last year, and negotiated hog prices are approximately $25 per cwt. higher than last year.