AgWeb Crop Comments
Select Crop Category
|Here's a sampling of what some folks are saying:
- 2/12/2016 Yamhill County, OR: Still busy planting pinot noir wine grapes. Luckily, we finished before the rain.
- 2/11/2016 Marshall County, IN: These were taken just south of South Bend, in Marshall County, Indiana. About 6 inches of snow in that area, but more farther north.
- 2/11/2016 Lonoke County, AR: As the calendar counts down to spring, Arkansas farmers are taking advantage of late winter dry weather to get some field work done ahead of planting. --Mary Hightower
U of A System Division of Agriculture
- 2/9/2016 Dodge County, MN: with the the weather in our area about normal and the markets that are low for a base price does it pay to take out any crop insurance this year I think I will take my changes
- 2/9/2016 Yamhill County, OR: We are having sunny weather to plant pinot noir wine grapes in our vineyard that is located in the heart of Oregon's wine country.
- 2/8/2016 Cheyenne County, NE: Wheat on HKC took out the 4.50 support today. Next support looks to be about 3.30-3.35. With an 0.80 basis this puts local cash at harvest in July at 2.55-2.50. At this rate there is going to be a lot less winter wheat planted this fall. I wonder how much wheat is going to get grazed in TX and OK?
- 2/2/2016 Desha County, AR: Taking advantage of some dry weather to do some drainage work, here in southeast arkansas!
- 2/1/2016 Sac County, IA: Melting going on this weekend to make room for the big one on Tuesday
- 1/26/2016 Kent County, DE: We received an estimated 18 inches of snow with 50-60 mph winds. Luckily we didn't lose power!
- 1/26/2016 Kent County, DE: Had to plow the secondary roads so feed trucks could arrive in a timely matter.
- 1/26/2016 Antrim County, MI: Michigan's micro climate allows us to grow many different specialty crops including cherries. Michigan represents about 75 percent of the tart cherries and 20 percent of the sweet cherries grown annually in the United States. The majority of the tart cherries are gown in Northern Michigan.
- 1/25/2016 Carroll County, IL: Chemical dealers are saying that people are still prepaying fungicide. The fungicide just might break even so put more corn on the market at 0 profit and the chemical companies are saying "Thank you very much". No money problems in this area it seems. Perhaps I will be more enlightened next year. Every area is different.
- 1/25/2016 Valley County, ID: Winter gripping Idaho hard! This is one of the Deepest Snow Years at the Rocking Y Ranch in Donnelly Idaho in the past 20 yrs. Livestock are,Glad to have the Protection of this Solid wood Log Barn.
- 1/25/2016 Anoka County, MN: Here is a photo of our daughter, Kim driving her donkey, Daisy, down our country road in a plastic sled. There’s nothing like some winter fun and we didn’t know our donkey could gallop!!!
- 1/21/2016 Stearns County, MN: Since quitting the chemicals, we can grow small grain again. We cut expenses every year, and now that we rotate more, we don't miss the "cides". Organic barley made 104 bushels this year from bin-run seed and dairy manure and cover crops.
- 1/21/2016 Pierce County, NE: I'm not a producer myself but I work in Precision Ag Sales/Service and my business partner sells seed. From the farmers we've talked to, many have yet to purchase seed and/or fertilizer because they are still negotiating land rents. It's an uphill battle with landlords/ladies who have a hard time accepting that if your tenant can't make money he/she can't pay you the same high rent you saw when commodities were at all time highs. It's unclear yet as to how much land will change tenancy and/or go fallow this spring because many producers aren't going to farm to lose money.
- 1/20/2016 Stark County, ND: Reducing input costs in 2016: Stop tilling the soil and change management to improve soil health. This will cut fuel and fertilizer inputs in half. Diversify crop rotation to spread risk and also improve soil health. The most efficient system is one build on fully functioning soil.
- 1/20/2016 Marshall County, IN: stark ,ND. tell me something i don't already know let me guess your one of those guys that wants me to cut my N in half then buy some monkey piss from you for 75 $ an acre that is a fix all . what ever !
- 1/20/2016 Mcleod County, MN: I read a report that Brazilian corn is trading at record highs because they supposedly over sold their crop and are having it trucked in from Argentina & Paraguay. South African corn is also trading at record highs around $7.50/bu because of severe drought. Looks like the weather around these areas isn't so great like we've been told or its been down played by all the experts.
Use the form on this page or e-mail CropComments@agweb.com
to send in your farm report to AgWeb’s Crop Comments.
Be sure to send us your photos and videos! Comments will be edited for brevity and clarity. (Please keep your comments crop-related.)