Hiring the right people for the right jobs on your farm can be a huge challenge. To enhance the process and hire for the long haul, Charles Contreras, Zoetis PeopleFirst business solutions manager, suggests this approach:
- Determine how a candidate will fit within the culture of your operation.
- Employees are often dismissed for their attitude, not a lack of aptitude. In interviews, ask behavioral-based questions that offer insight into the applicant.
- If you look for employees only when you have an open position, you are limiting your options. Make recruiting a year-round process.
- Ask current employees about candidates. Through word of mouth, your employees might help you find someone who is a great fit for your operation.
- Establishing a consistent hiring process will help you find good employees. Assign a point person to handle recruitment, reference checks and orientation to bring some consistency to the process.