3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Scald milk; add shortening, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast on warm water; stir to dissolve.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour to milk mixture; beat well by hand or electric mixer at low speed 1 minute. Beat in eggs and yeast.
- Gradually stir in enough remaining flour, a little at a time, to make a soft dough that leaves sides of bowl. Turn onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth, satiny and no longer sticky, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Place in lightly greased bowl; invert dough to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Divide in half and shape as desired. Place in greased pans.
- Brush tops lightly with melted butter; let rise until doubled, 30 to 45 mins.
- Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) 12 to 15 min. Makes about 30 rolls, exact number depending on shape and size.
PLAIN ROLLS: (less rich): Reduce sugar to 1/4 cup and shortening to 1/3 cup in recipe for Rich Hot Rolls.
CINNAMON ROLLS: Divide risen dough for Rich Hot Rolls in half. Roll each half into a 16x8"rectangle. Combine 1 cup sugar and 1TB. cinnamon. Spread half of the mixture on each rectangle. If you like, scatter 1/3 cup raisins over each rectangle. Roll lengthwise as for jelly roll; seal edges. Cut in 1" slices. Place cut side down, in 2 well greased 9x9x2" pans. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 30 t0 40 min. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) 20 to 25 min. Remove to wire racks. Makes 32 rolls. Frost with confectioners sugar frosting if desired.
BUTERSCOTCH ROLLS: Use 1/2 of risen dough for Rich Hot Rolls. Roll dough to 16x8" rectangle. Brush with 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar combined with 1 tsp. cinnamon. Roll lengthwise as for jelly roll; seal edges. Cut in 1" slices.