Aggieland or Bust!
Oct 27, 2010
We're south bound and down for Aggieland for the first ever AgWeb Campus Tour stop.
I’m set to get the full experience of what it’s like to be an Aggie this weekend. I’m not exactly sure what I’m in for here, but it’s sure to be one terrific weekend of learning about the university with deep roots in agriculture and the military that is one of the most tradition-rich universities in the country.
Maybe I’ll never get it. There’s a quote that goes "From the outside looking in, it’s hard to understand
I’m looking forward to a great weekend in Aggieland.
Learn more about the Campus Tour here and vote for us to visit your school next year.
The communications staff for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences has done a fantastic job of lining up a great weekend for me. Special thanks goes to Kathleen Phillips who has been my main contact and went out of her way to line up a terrific schedule.
The schedule includes an interview with the dean of agriculture, two football players who are also agriculture majors and a 2-time Super Bowl champion. Look for the first posts tomorrow afternoon on what this is all about.
Any Aggies out there who want to have me run by their tailgate on Saturday, drop me a note and tell me where to find you. I’ll try to stop by:
Here’s the tentative schedule for the weekend:
Thursday, Oct. 28
- Football players DeAndre Thompson and Von Miller
- Dr. Mark Hussey, vice chancellor and dean of agriculture and life sciences
- Interview with New England Patriot and A&M student Ty Warren. Warren is a two-time Super Bowl champion who is on injured reserve this season. He’s back working on his degree in Agriculture Development.
- Interview Fightin’ Texas Aggie Marching Band member Bryan Cline. If you’ve never seen the Fightin’ Texas Aggie band, you’re missing out. It’s amazing. (See the video below) I’m told the Aggies never lose a game; they may get outscored and run out of time, but they don’t lose. They also claim to have never lost a halftime.
- Dr. Kerry Litzenberg is a very popular professor of agricultural economics who is very involved in helping students get the full college experience…inside and outside the classroom.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences scholarship reception. The Zone. The college's Student Council president Sarah Novak (Sr. Ag Eco major from Pleasanton) will speak, there will be numerous students and professors and supporters present. Also, three outstanding alum awards will be presented.
Friday, Oct. 29
- Sneak preview of the new agriculture headquarters building
- Dr. Clare Gill (researcher) I’ve heard very good things about Dr. Gill and the research she is doing to improve beef quality.
- Campus Tour
- Visit Former Students Association
- Soil and Crop Department hosts the Texas Two-Step Tailgate Bash.
- Midnight Yell. This is where I expect the real Texas A&M experience. It’s a pep rally, yes, but it’s more a way for the Aggie fans to practice their yells (don’t call them cheers) for tomorrow’s game. And tell jokes about the opposing team.
Saturday, Oct. 30
- Visit the pre-game activities at the Zone.
- Interview with Texas Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples
- The Corp of Cadets march into Kyle Field.
- 2:30 – Texas A&M vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders