10 Questions for Your Succession Adviser
Mar 09, 2010
Most succession planning advisers come from one of four professions – financial, accounting, legal or business consulting. Each discipline has its own characteristics that are necessary to the overall process. However, facilitating an agribusiness family’s succession planning process is an entirely different skill. Most professionals are wholly unprepared for the business/emotional tug-of-war that ensues with the mere mention of “a long-term plan for your operation."
What to Ask
Here’s a brief interview guide to help you identify an adviser who can facilitate your family’s succession planning process.
- What is your experience facilitating the succession planning process?
- What qualifies you as a specialist in succession planning?
- How long have you been providing succession planning advice?
- For how many families have you provided a succession planning service?
- Do you understand the specific succession planning needs and concerns of farmers and agribusiness owners?
- Do you utilize defined planning models and a specific planning process?
- Can you assemble a multidisciplinary team of professionals and ensure that the family's planning objectives are met?
- What other services do you offer?
- How do you get paid for services?
- Do you offer a money-back guarantee?
News & Resources for You
Meet the Farmers in the Dell – Farm Journal’s Pam Smith shares the Dell family’s succession planning journey.
Bring on Brother – Top Producer’s Jeanne Bernick continues to follow the Esthers, as younger brother Chad joins the family operation.
Still need help? As always, you can ask Kevin…