Leave a Legacy
Kevin Spafford is Farm Journal’s succession planning expert for the Farm Journal Legacy Project. He hosts the nationally-televised ‘Leave a Legacy’ TV, facilitates an ongoing series of workshops for farm families across the U.S., and is the author of Legacy by Design: Succession Planning for Agribusiness Owners.
Leave a Legacy TV
Jan 22, 2010
As I write this blog, the first episode of Leave a Legacy
TV is “in the can” – recorded, and awaiting final edits for broadcast. Whether you view it next Thursday following AgDay, Saturday after U.S. Farm Report or catch it online, be assured the program is designed to help you traverse the succession planning process.
The Legacy Project is an all-hands commitment by Farm Journal Media and Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. to ‘Cultivate Multigenerational Success in the Agricultural Community.’ It is designed to bring you the appropriate tools you’ll need to plan a successful transition. It might also serve as a gentle nudge, encouraging you to take action or pick up the pace depending on your situation.
For me, Leave a Legacy is a wonderful opportunity to share good succession planning concepts with a great many people at one time. It’s also a completely new experience. Like all new endeavors where there is much to learn, we often feel like we’re drinking from a fire hose when we first begin.
As I think about the last couple of days at the AgDay studio in South Bend, I’m mindful of the lessons I learned as a Cub Scout – affirmations we all memorize at a very young age, including:
1. Be prepared.
2. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.
3. It’s all based on vision. Whatever you can conceive and believe, you can achieve.
4. We each can effect change. One person with a clear vision and passionate energy can make a difference.
5. Have fun!
As you tune in, please don’t hesitate to let us know how we may help you ‘Plan Success and Leave a Lasting Legacy.’
More Resources Through the Farm Journal Legacy Project:
- Leave a Legacy TV Schedule and Local Listings – Don’t miss this week’s premier episode on TV, or online.
- Weekly eNewsletter – Keep up on Legacy Project updates... sign up for the new weekly eNews.
- Legacy Project Website – Check out the newly-launched site, dedicated solely to succession planning for agribusiness owners. The site is updated daily with information, tools, and opportunities - so be sure to visit often.
- Follow the Legacy Project on Facebook and Twitter.