Sep 30, 2014
Home| Tools| Events| Blogs| Discussions Sign UpLogin

July 2011 Archive for Your Favorite Tractor

RSS By: Your Favorite Tractor, Farm Journal

Here’s your chance to share a photo of your favorite tractor.

1938 Huber LC

Jul 31, 2011

This tractor is featured for the month of August in the Classic Farm Tractor Calendar.

The Young brothers, Loudenville, Ohio, purchased this Huber new with the thresher. They drove it 60 miles from the factory in Marion, Ohio, to their place and used it for custom threshing. It remained in the Young family until Jim Nickles bought it in 2000. It sports a Waukesha 4-cylinder engine (334 cubic inches) valve in head type, with removable sleeves. Huber had branches in Harrisburg, Pa., Lansin, Mich., Indianapolis, Ind., Peoria, Ill., Minneapolis, Minn., Lincoln, Neb., and Fargo, N.D. The Huber would pull two 14” plows easily. Note the fire extinguisher and headlights.
1938 HuberLC


Owner: James L. Nickles
Smithville, Ohio
He has a well-equipped shop where he restores tractors. “The Huber is original expect for the cap for the 2-gal. gas tank, and the new exhaust manifold,” he says. He added new decals and new tires. He points out Hubers were in Marion, Ohio where there’s a Huber Museum. Click here for more information on the Huber museum.
Watch this video on the history of Huber that dates back to the Civil War:

The world-famous Classic Farm Tractor Calendar from Classic Tractor Fever is in its 21st year of publication with the 2010 calendar available now. They have calendars, videos, books, and much, much, more. Click here to visit their online shop.

Spirit of ’76: 1976 Steiger Panther II

Jul 08, 2011

This tractor is featured for the month of July in the Classic Farm Tractor Calendar.

Its distinctive red, white and blue color scheme denotes it as a Bicentennial model; nobody seems to know the exact number of Steiger with these patriotic marking. (the best guess is less than 20). This Steiger was built in Fargo, N.D., but the paint job was done in a body shop that added $1,200 to the total cost. Steiger is an inspirational, American entrepreneurial story of brothers Doug and Maurice Steiger, Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, who began building 4WD articulated tractor in the 1950s. This one was powered by a Cummins 310-hp engine. Other Steigers were fitted with Detroit Diesels or Cat Diesels. Many of those were lime-colored, bearing names such as Bearcat, Cougar, Panther, Tiger and Wildcat.

1976 SteigerPantherII

Owners: Barry and Maureen Schneider
Henderson, Ky.
Says Barry, “We bought this tractor in Maryland. We do exhibit it now in local shows plus the I&I and Half Century of Progress expos in Illinois.” It’s shown here with the largest U.S. flying flag, measuring 65’x120’.
The world-famous Classic Farm Tractor Calendar from Classic Tractor Fever is in its 21st year of publication with the 2010 calendar available now. They have calendars, videos, books, and much, much, more. Click here to visit their online shop.


Tractor Trendsetters: International 8-16 with PTO

Jul 06, 2011

Written by Larry Gay

The first gasoline traction engines were designed to provide belt power for threshing machines. A drawbar was provided, but was only used to pull the threshing machine between farms or similar light work. In 1903, the Hart-Parr Company equipped three of its 22-40 model gasoline traction engines with an experimental heavy-duty differential which the company described as a “plow gear” for pulling a plow. By 1906, all of the 22-40 tractors were built with the plow gear. Soon all tractors were built to provide two sources of power, belt and drawbar.
International Harvester started production of the International 8-16 tractor with a small preproduction run in 1917 and regular production in 1918. It was a 2-plow tractor with a vertical 4-cylinder, kerosene-burning engine and a 3-speed transmission. The radiator was located in the middle of the tractor which permitted the tractor to be equipped with a downward-sloping hood. The first commercially successful power take-off (PTO) shaft attachment in the U.S. was made available for the 8-16 in 1919. Little information is available about this PTO, but in one photograph the PTO shaft appears to be located under the tractor’s rear axle and to the right of the tractor centerline. Now there was a third way to transmit tractor power. International Harvester emphasized this by advertising its later 10-20 and 15-30 models as “triple-power tractors.”
Grain binders, corn binders, and corn pickers had been driven by a large ground-engaging wheel, but the PTO soon became the preferred method of driving these machines. As a result, most of the major tractor manufacturers began offering a PTO. One exception was the Fordson, but a component manufacturer soon made a PTO attachment for the Fordson. However, by 1926 there were seven sizes of PTO shafts on tractors, located from 32 inches ahead of the drawbar hitch pin to 13 inches behind the hitch pin. The PTO for the Fordson extended under the tractor’s right rear axle and the PTO for the John Deere D extended over the left rear axle.
In April 1927, the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE) issued a PTO standard which described the size and type of shaft, the speed and direction of rotation, and its location relative to the drawbar. Revisions to the standard were made in July 1928, March 1931, and August 1941 to reduce some of the variations in the original standard. This ASAE standard resulted in a 540-rpm, 1.38-inch diameter shaft with six splines, located on the tractor’s centerline, and 14 inches ahead of the drawbar pin hole.
Larry Gay is the author of four tractor books published by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, including Farm Tractors 1995-2005. This book may be obtained from ASABE at 800-695-2723 or, click publications and then click history books.    


1963 Allis Chalmers D-19

Jul 04, 2011

Cover tractor for Fastline Rocky Mountain edition.

Tractor owned and restored by Les Ellsworth, Sterling, Co.
Ellsworth has owned this AC D-19 for six years. He uses it mostly around his farmstead for doing odd jobs swathing and mowing. The tractor had been on propane and converted back to gas when he purchased it.
He has been farming for 39 years, raising wheat and a little hay. His father had two D-17s and brother had three D-17s and two D-19s.

Learn more in the Fastline digital edition.

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Jul 03, 2011

Cover tractor for Fastline Northwest edition.

Tractor owned by Courtney Hall.
Hall purchased this classic tractor in 1958. It was repainted by Dennis Martin in 2008. It has been used continuously throughout the past 53 years.

1946 Farmall M Restored to Super M

Jul 02, 2011

Cover tractor for Fastline Minnesota edition.

Owned by Ken Speetz, Lino Lakes, Minn. Restored by Ken and Kevin Speetz.
This tractor was original a Farmall M. When others would have considered this tractor as junk, Ken and Kevin has a different plan in mind. Together, they took this Farmall M and completely restored is to make it a Super M.

Fifth Generation 1940 John Deere H

Jul 01, 2011

Owned by Allen Carr, Lexington, Ky.

1940 John Deere H

Seat on the tractor is Jacob, Allen’s grandson. Jacob is the fifth generation to ride this tractor. It was bought in 1942 by Jacob’s great, great grandfather Tom Carr.
Log In or Sign Up to comment


The Home Page of Agriculture
© 2014 Farm Journal, Inc. All Rights Reserved|Web site design and development by|Site Map|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions