Aug 23, 2014
Home| Tools| Events| Blogs| Discussions Sign UpLogin


March 2012 Archive for Your Favorite Tractor

RSS By: Your Favorite Tractor, Farm Journal

Here’s your chance to share a photo of your favorite tractor.

1955 Farmall 300

Mar 31, 2012

Cover tractor of the month Fastline Oklahoma edition.

Owned and restored by Gene Overturf, Stonewall, Okla.
1955 Farmall 300
Photograph by Gene’s daughter, Amy Seiger.

1968 International 856

Mar 30, 2012

Cover tractor of the month Fastline Tennessee edition.

Owned by Teddy Brawner, Lafayette, TN.
Restored by Teddy Brawner and his son Dylan Brawner.
1968 International 856
Teddy bought this tractor back in 2007. In 2009, with the help of his son Dylan, they restored it to its original condition.

1959 Ferguson TO35 Deluxe Southeast

Mar 29, 2012

Tractor of the month Fastline Southeast edition.

Owned by James R. Gore, Griffin, Ga.
1959 Ferguson TO35 Deluxe
This 1959 Ferguson TO35 Deluxe has been in the same family since it was bought new. It has more than 4,000 hours and has been completely restored.

1955 John Deere 60

Mar 26, 2012

Tractor of the month Fastline Kentucky edition.

Owned and restored by Wayne Livesay, Campbellsville, Kentucky.
1955 John Deere 60
Livesay purchased this tractor from the Charles Shive Family Dairy Farm. It has been used for many years planting and harvesting crops in Taylor County, Kentucky. The restored tractor was exhibited in the 4th of July Festival Parade and Show for two years.

1948 Farmall Cub

Mar 25, 2012

Tractor of the Month, Fastline Dakotas edition.

Owned and restored by John and Ann Novak, Bismarck, ND.
1948 Farmall Cub
Restored by John Novak.

1960 Ford 601 Workmaster

Mar 24, 2012

Cover tractor of the month Fastline Mid-Atlantic edition.

Owned and restored by Jim Hodges, Washington NC.

This tractor has been in the family since 1965. It was restored by Jim and Jimmy Hodges, son-in-law and grandson of the original owner, the late James Bailey of Bear Grass, NC.

1960 Ford 601 Workmaster

1934 McCormick Deering 1-12

Mar 22, 2012

Cover tractor of the month, Fastline Kansas edition.

Owned by Rich and Bev Runnebaum. Restored by Alex and Carolyn Moore, Berryton, Kan.

1934 McCormick Deering 1 12

The tractor was originally purchased by Alois A Kahlig of Ballinger, Texas for $558 on December 19, 1927. He and his sons W.J. Clements and Harold used the tractor on their farm in Olfen, Texas until 1930 when it was replaced by a Farmall Regular. It remained in a shed on the farm until Mr. Kahligs’ death in 1965 when his son-in-law, Elo G. Wilde, moved the tractor to his farm near Wall, Texas. His sons, Richard and Harvey Wilde, inherited the tractor.
After five generations, the tractor is currently housed on Harvey’s farm near San Angelo, Texas.

Restoration of First Tractor Driven by Father-Son

Mar 21, 2012

Tractor of the month owned and restored by Gerald Allen Largent, Vandalia, Illinois.

When Gerald was a young boy, he always enjoyed helping his dad on their farm. He couldn’t wait until he was old enough to drive the Farmall H. When was 9 years old, his dad decided it was time for him to learn. He was so excited, but his Farmall H didn’t have power steering and he couldn’t turn the wheel. Seeing the disappointment in his son’s eyes his dad traded in that tractor for a 1959 John deere 630.
1959 John Deere 630
For the next 51 years, he has followed in his dad’s footsteps using John Deere tractors and equipment on his farm, as well as teaching his own son how to drive a tractor. For the last several years, he had been searching for a John Deere 630 that he and his son could restore together. Luckily, last year, he found a one-owner 1959 model in Hermann, Missouri. He spent many hours working together with his son to restore it.
He is so thankful to have been raised on a farm a thankful that he could raise his own kids in the same manner. He and his son will remember restoring this tractor for the rest of their lives.

Tractor Trendsetters: Farmall Regular

Mar 05, 2012

Written by Larry Gay

 
The market for farm tractors, especially in the 2- and 3-plow sizes, began to grow during World War I, but the acceptance of these tractors was limited in many areas because they could not cultivate row crops. Motor cultivators, a self-propelled cultivator, made a brief appearance, but only the very large farming operations could afford both a tractor and a motor cultivator. Engineering meetings in the early 1920s began to discuss the need for a general-purpose tractor which could cultivate row crops.
 
International Harvester began a long process of developing a general-purpose tractor in 1917 when it introduced a 2-row motor cultivator. This machine had two widely-spaced front wheels with the cultivator gangs mounted between them. Two closely-spaced drive wheels were located at the rear of the machine with a 4-cylinder, vertical engine mounted cross-wise above them. The engine and drive wheels pivoted together for making turns. However, the high location of the engine made the unit unstable when making turns on slopes.
 
In the spring of 1920, IH built an experimental cultivating machine with the cross-wise engine mounted on the rear frame and a power train to the two widely-spaced front drive wheels. A single wheel at the rear of the machine provided the steering function. By the fall of 1920, Harvester removed the cultivator and turned the machine around to pull a corn binder with the single guide wheel in front, the drive wheels in the rear, and the operator looking over the cross-wise engine. The next configuration was bidirectional with the engine in-line with the tractor frame and a vertical steering column which allowed the operator to face in either direction.
 
By 1923, Harvester revised the design to one that operated in one direction with two closely- spaced wheels in front, two widely-spaced drive wheels in the rear, and means for attaching a front-mounted cultivator. Pre-production tractors were built and tested in 1923 and production of the McCormick-Deering Farmall tractor started in 1924. Now there was a tractor on the market which could perform the traditional tractor tasks and cultivate row crops.
 
The Farmall was a 2-plow tractor, painted gray with red wheels, with an International 4-cylinder engine and a 3-speed transmission. The 30 inches of clearance under the rear axle and the 74-inch wheel tread enabled the tractor to straddle two rows of crops. Harvester described it as a triple-power tractor as it was equipped with a drawbar, belt pulley, and power take-off. The front vertical steering column featured a front and rear arm. The front arm shifted the cultivator gangs sideways when the steering wheel was turned. The rear one was attached to cables which applied one of the turning brakes when the tractor was turned at the end of the row.
 
The original Farmall became known as the Farmall Regular after IH expanded its line of row-crop tractors to three models in the early 1930s. The other tractor manufacturers soon recognized the advantages of a row-crop tractor and introduced competing models between 1927 and 1930.
 
Larry Gay is the author of four tractor books published by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, including Farm Tractors 1975-1995 and Farm Tractors 1995-2005. These books may be obtained from ASABE at 800-695-2723 or asabe.org, click publications and then click book catalog. 

1956 Massey-Harris 444

Mar 01, 2012

This tractor was featured for the month of March in the Classic Farm Tractor Calendar.

With its three distinctive colors—red, yellow and bronze—this attractive High Arch model turns heads wherever it goes. This Massey-Harris 444 was powered by a Continental engine (bore and stroke of 4 x 5.50”) for 277 cu. in. producing 50 max PTO hp. It was also available in diesel and LP-gas versions.
The adjustable wide-front High Arch distinguishes it from the lower axles on popular standard-tread Masseys. These 3-number tractors were the last of the Massey-Harris yellow-wheel designs. In 1958, the 444 was superseded by the Massey-Ferguson 65. (Note, Chrysler gold was used to duplicate the bronze.)
1956 Massey Harris 444
Owner: Bryan Armstrong
Brookfield, Missouri
Bryan, his father Leroy, and his brother Scott, have a family collection of five Massey-Harris and Massey-Ferguson tractors. It’s evident they invest lots of time and pride in all their tractor restorations.
The world-famous Classic Farm Tractor Calendar from Classic Tractor Fever is in its 21st year of publication, with the 2012 calendar available now. They have calendars, videos, books and much, much more. Click here to visit their online shop.
Log In or Sign Up to comment

COMMENTS

 
 
 
The Home Page of Agriculture
© 2014 Farm Journal, Inc. All Rights Reserved|Web site design and development by AmericanEagle.com|Site Map|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions