Pro Farmer Extra
- From the Editors of Pro Farmer newsletter -
May 29, 2014
Farm Program Signup "Schedule"
USDA has awarded $3 million to the University of Illinois, the University of Missouri (FAPRI) and Texas A&M University to help build online farm bill discussion tools. Another $3 million will be going to state cooperative extension services at land grant universities.
While some think USDA is dragging its feet on farm bill implementation of programs like Supplemental Coverage Option, which they contend may push farmers to the Ag Risk Coverage (ARC) program, it is not going to be a quick process.
Key for USDA: Making decisions that will hold up to legal and other scrutiny.
Key for Farmers: Education.
Unlike the 2008 Farm Bill and the ACRE program, there will be tools broadly available to farmers this time.
Here is - as best as we can tell - a rough schedule of important farm bill signup "timeframes."
- Mid-Summer 2014: Producers will receive letters notifying them of current acreage bases and program yields, as well as 2009 through 2012 certified planting history.
- Late-Summer 2014: MPP, ARC and PLC online tools become available. MPP enrollment for 2014 and 2015 begins. MPP owners have an opportunity to update yields and reallocate bases for ARC/PLC purposes.
- Fall 2014: NAP buy-up online tools become available. NAP buy-up signup starts.
- Winter 2014: ARC/PLC one-time selection begins.
- Early 2015: ARC/PLC signup for 2014 and 2015 begins.
MPP: Margin Protection Program (dairy)
ARC: Ag Risk Coverage
PLC: Price Loss Coverage
NAP: Noninsured crop disaster Assistance Program
USDA says, "In late 2014, producers have to make their one-time election between PLC and ARC. Early 2015 is when the annual enrollment for the program -- PLC or ARC, based on their election -- begins for 2014 and 2015 crop years." No specific enrollment ending date or timeframe has been given.
Follow Pro Farmer Editorial Director Chip Flory on Twitter: @ChipFlory
To see more of what Pro Farmer has to offer, be sure to visit www.profarmer.com.