Planted or base acres?
Oct 25, 2013
Pro Farmer Extra
- From the Editors of Pro Farmer newsletter -
October 18, 2013
Note: The following is from this week's issue of Pro Farmer newsletter and was written by Pro Farmer editor Chip Flory and Pro Farmer Washington Consultant Jim Wiesemeyer.
Planted or base acres for payments?
Contacts continue to signal there are four major issues in the negotiation of a new safety net program in the 2013 farm bill:
- Parameters of Price Loss (target prices) Coverage program.
- Parameters of the Revenue Loss Coverage (Ag Risk Coverage/Shallow Loss) program.
- Parameters of the Supplemental Coverage Option (SCO).
- Whether to use planted or base acres in calculating payments. Negotiators have so far failed to find a compromise.
Senate negotiators continue to push for an “all-in” approach to safety net programs in which producers would qualify for both revenue and price loss coverage, but if a producer wanted SCO, they could not qualify for revenue loss coverage. The key for an all-in approach is the target price levels.
First farm bill conference meeting Oct. 30.
The House and Senate Ag Committee leaders will hold the first public meeting of the 2013 farm bill conference committee Oct. 30 at noon CT. Recent reports not conservative groups will focus their budget-cutting attention on subsidies in the bill, including crop insurance and nutrition programs.
Follow Pro Farmer Editor Chip Flory on Twitter: @ChipFlory
To see more of what Pro Farmer has to offer, be sure to visit www.profarmer.com.