Aug 29, 2014
Home| Tools| Events| Blogs| Discussions| Sign UpLogin

Nearly 2,000 Farmers Share Voting Intentions

October 18, 2012
By: Sara Schafer, Farm Journal Media Business and Crops Editor
Obama   Romney

This week’s Farm Journal Pulse shows farm country voters are leaning red.

Farm Journal PulseThe U.S. is less than a month away from choosing its 45th president. How will farmers and ranchers vote on Nov. 6?

According to this week’s Farm Journal Pulse, a text message survey, farm country is significantly supporting this year’s Republican candidate.

Here’s how the 1,984 votes were cast:

• President Barack Obama: 15%
  • Mitt Romney: 85%

Support seems to be growing for Romney. In August, the Farm Journal Pulse asked: Who do you think will win the 2012 presidential election? The 1,680 responses equaled 74% Mitt Romney and 26% for Barack Obama

See the results on an interactive map:

Pulse 10 18 12

The American Farm Bureau Federation recently released Obama and Romney’s answers to its 2012 presidential candidate questionnaire. (Read the full responses.)

The final question asked:

Why should farmers and ranchers vote for you?

Obama’s response: I am committed to building the foundation for a renewed rural economy so that future generations can enjoy the way of life in rural America. I am building a rural economy built to last – one focused on reclaiming the security of the rural middle class by growing products that the rest of the world buys, and restoring the basic values of hard work and fair play that made our country great. Farmers and rancher should vote for me because I am the only candidate that is committed to strengthening the farm safety net, strengthening rural economic growth, and supporting rural investments in clean energy.

Not only am I committed to providing farmers the safety they need to grow America’s food, but I am also planning for a strong agricultural future, increase funding for agricultural research and development by over 20 percent. My Administration is boosting rural small businesses by making it easier for them to access the capital they need to sell their products, expand operations and hire workers. And we are investing in a 21st century infrastructure - expanding broadband service for nearly seven million rural residents. We are working aggressively with our nation's rural communities, farmers, and ranchers to increase our energy independence and boost the transition to a clean energy economy. We are also partnering with over 13,000 farmers and ranchers to support renewable energy and energy efficiency projects that help save energy and improve their bottom line. Unlike my opponent, I understand that clean energy can provide farmers with additional income and economic security, which is why I have called on Congress to extend tax incentives for wind energy, which Mitt Romney would let expire.

Romney’s response:
As the breadth of your questions indicate here, American agriculture needs relief from the Obama Administration’s crushing onslaught of unnecessary regulations; a commonsense energy policy that develops our resources right here at home; a renewed focus on opening new markets; and a pro-growth tax policy that encourages investment and recognizes that death should not be a taxable event. On day one of my administration, farmers and ranchers would have something they’ve lacked over the past several years – an advocate.

Farmers and ranchers are the backbone of America and play a critical role in ensuring Americans across the country have access to safe and affordable food. The fruit of your labor nourishes the world, and I admire your hard work in harvesting our country’s bountiful resources. I also admire our farmers and ranchers for the critical role you play in the health of our economy, employing millions of Americans.

I’m honored to have interacted with so many farmers and ranchers during this campaign, and I’m grateful to have them supporting our efforts to turn around the economy and strengthen the middle class. If you haven’t yet signed-up to help with the campaign or just want to learn more, please visit my website at www.mittromney.com. Much is held in the balance of this election for all Americans, but particularly for farmers, ranchers, and rural communities, and I hope I can count on your vote this November 6th.

Add Your Vote

You're invited to be part of the heartbeat of our new national producer panel that speaks up and speaks out. Participating is as easy as answering two quick poll questions per month via text message from your mobile phone.

By partnering with Commodity Update, the leading provider of agricultural information to mobile phones, Farm Journal sends you the question via a text message on the first and third Wednesday of each month.

See Comments

RELATED TOPICS: Policy, Farm Journal Pulse

COMMENTS (19 Comments)

real deal - WI
Any farmer that votes republican is voting against their own best interest. Romney would be another Reagan who caused more farmers to lose their farms than at any time since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
5:48 AM Oct 31st

skip alameda - Enterprise, AL
Obama has not told the truth since the first day he took office, I cannot vote for someone like that. If there is one person in this country who needs to be color blind it's our president. Obama is not!!!!!​
8:30 PM Oct 25th

Farmer Dustin - Balfour, ND
I'm a small farmer in ND. Talking to my tax guy the max amount of deductions for the farm in 2013 is going to be $25,000. I did not forget a zero. So knowing how expensive fertilizer, fuel, seed and equipment. Obama says he's going to raise taxes on those making $250,000 or more but this is also going to make most small farmers also go up another tax bracket. This is going to have a huge impact on every Farmer out there. I'm not sure knowing that how any farmer could vote for Obama
9:19 AM Oct 25th

- UPPERCO, MD
I think the only question anyone needs to ask is : Is my life better now than 4 yrs ago? Obama took office with a democratic congress. He had support to get done whatever he wanted to. Whatever he did didn't help me. With the real unemployment rate around 15% I think there are a lot of people who agree.​
1:55 PM Oct 23rd

- UPPERCO, MD
1:55 PM Oct 23rd

Son of Butch - LESTER PRAIRIE, MN
This%20poll%20brings%20nothing%20new%20to%20the%20table.%20%20By%20looking%20at%20the%20demographics​%20of%20the%20national%20polls;%20%20IF%20only%20african%20americans,%20hispanics%20and%20women%20vo​ted%20then%20Obama%20wins%20by%20about%20the%20same%20margin%20this%20poll%20shows%20as%20Romney%20w​inning.%20%20​
12:22 PM Oct 22nd

Son of Butch - LESTER PRAIRIE, MN
This poll brings nothing new to the table. By looking at the demographics of the national polls; IF only african americans, hispanics and women voted then Obama wins by about the same margin this poll shows as Romney winning.
12:22 PM Oct 22nd

Missouri Citizen - Laddonia, MO
I make my living preparing farm tax returns. I see a clear choice with Romney because he is a businessman who understands the impact of taxes upon the economy.

The exclusion for estates goes to 1 million on January 1st. The rate will be 55% on all assets over 1 million. Romney is in favor of a complete repeal of the estate tax.

For 2012 the Section 179 writeoff is down to $139,000 from $500,000 in the past. One of the greatest boosters of the economy is to encourage the purchase of new equipment. Romney understands this also and will push for increading the deductions allowed for the purchase of equipment.

He will also encourage domestic production of oil so that we are no longer dependent upon the fragile oil regions of the world. Ditto for the approval of the pipeline from Canada.

Farmers are business owners and are very tax savvy. We cannot continue growing the deficit by a trillion dollars per year and not destroy our way of life. I for one do not want to live in an economy like Greece has today.
5:40 PM Oct 19th

Dairyguy - Belgrade, MN
The bigger issue than subsidies is that the framers of our constitution, largely farmers, limited the powers of Fed govt. and divided it three ways. Our Harvard lawyer Pres. has been able to gridlock Congress so he can circumvent them with his 25 Czars and executive orders. He can rule by regulation instead of legislation, and if he gets past this election, he will use this consolidated excecutive power to unleash his socialist agenda that he thinks will benifit us uninformed peasants. Losing our constitional format for limiting and sharing of power would be far worse than losing a few subsidies.​
11:04 AM Oct 19th

paul - vilas, CO
i am not a dem or republican, i voted for reagan and clinton, never voted for bush. this election is an easy choice for farmers, look at the real canidates, it is not about subsidies they don't amount to anything anymore anyway, it is not about abortion no one likes it anyway. the republicans as a whole have forgot about people for political gains. they no longer put america first.when their first priority is to defeat the president and filabuster everything that would help americans such as bills for disabled vets, ect. a person who would demastrate for the vn war then go to paris when his time came, will not hesitate to send my son or yours to war.
9:10 AM Oct 19th

Name:

Comments:

Legacy Newsletter

Hot Links & Cool Tools

facebook twitter youtube View More>>

Facebook Twitter You Tube

The Home Page of Agriculture
© 2014 Farm Journal, Inc. All Rights Reserved|Web site design and development by AmericanEagle.com|Site Map|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions