Create a Custom Operation
Nov 20, 2009
For an aspiring agripreneur, becoming a custom operator may be the ideal opportunity to:
- learn the intricacies of farming
- develop good money management skills
- establish good customer service habits
- develop a reputation for reliability
- create some business equity
Running a business is an excellent opportunity to develop the leadership skills necessary to eventually assume a management position in a larger family operation. Most families underestimate the value of off-farm experience. The self-employment opportunity or serving as an employee for someone else will better prepare a person to work within the family operation.
For Aspiring or Newly-Minted Leaders:
Make sure you don’t miss future updates. Become a Facebook fan of the Farm Journal Legacy Project.