Report from leading dairy company also features dairy stewardship updates.
Dean Foods, one of the nation’s leading dairy processors and distributors, highlighted the formation of an industry-leading Animal Welfare Advisory Council in its 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report, released today.
The report details Dean Foods’ efforts to incorporate sustainable and responsible business practices that benefit the Dallas-based company as well as consumers, retailers, employees, communities and the environment. The company previously published reports in 2008 and 2010.
"We take pride in our role as a responsible corporate citizen," said Gregg Tanner, CEO of Dean Foods. "We know that doing the right thing is the best thing for our business. From reducing our carbon footprint to improving the safety of our employees, we are committed to keeping corporate responsibility an integral part of our work."
Highlights from the 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report include:
• Continued reduction of greenhouse gases, energy use, water use, and solid waste in Dean Foods operations. The company announced revised environmental sustainability goals in mid-2012, and detail on yearly progress and reduction methods are available in the report.
• Employment of advanced technology and innovative methods to reduce the environmental impact of the Dean Foods transportation and distribution fleet, one of the largest refrigerated fleets in the nation.
• Achievement by 18 Dean Foods processing plants of the ENERGY STAR® Challenge for Dairy in just two years, meeting the five-year goal to reduce energy use by 10 percent three years early.
• Advancements made in the company's dairy stewardship program, including the formation of an industry-leading Animal Welfare Advisory Council that includes expert veterinarians, farmers, scientists, educators, customers and employees.
• Expanded detail of food safety and product quality programs, including internal improvement initiatives, supplier requirements, third-party audits, and adherence to federal regulations.
The 2012 Dean Foods Corporate Responsibility Report is available online.
Dean Foods’ Fresh Dairy Direct segment is one of the nation's largest processors and direct-to-store distributors of fluid milk marketed under more than 50 local and regional dairy brands and private labels.