Sep 23, 2014
Home| Tools| Events| Blogs| Discussions| Sign UpLogin

In vitro NDF digestibility

June 6, 2011
By: Jim Linn, Dairy Today Contributor

In vitro NDF digestibility of forage is positively correlated with DM intake. Several years ago, Michigan State researchers found that on average a 1 unit increase in NDF digestibility increased DM intake 0.3 lb. This relationship was only valid within a forage class such as legumes, grass or corn silage and not across forage classes. However, even high NDF digestible forages can limit DM intake when forage NDF in a diet is above 25% of the DM.

The range in 30-hour NDF digestibility (percent of NDF) within forage classes is quite high: corn silage 50% to 60%, alfalfa 35% to 55% and grasses 30% to 70%. Some recent research from Cornell indicates total NDF is not a very good indicator of NDF digestibility.

Seven corn silage samples with only a 1% range in total NDF (42% to 43%) had 30-hour NDF digestibilities ranging from 35% to 57%. This information suggests we should strive to achieve a high NDF digestibility in our forages, but must also use all of the forage and NDF parameters described above in formulating and evaluating our lactating cow diets.

See Comments

RELATED TOPICS: Dairy, Nutrition, Animal Health

Log In or Sign Up to comment


No comments have been posted



Receive the latest news, information and commentary customized for you. Sign up to receive Beef Today's Cattle Drive today!. Interested in the latest prices for cattle in your area? See highlights of the latest for-sale cattle in the Cattle-Exchange eNewsletter.

The Home Page of Agriculture
© 2014 Farm Journal, Inc. All Rights Reserved|Web site design and development by|Site Map|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions