Do Not Feed the HSUS Monster
Dec 28, 2011
As the year quickly draws to an end, the charities creatively seek your extra dollars in hopes you have the need to lower your federal and state taxes by giving to some very worthy causes. Although the time is clicking away to get your 2011 donations completed, I suggest that you investigate how each dollar of a charitable organization is actually spent.
If you are a loyal reader of my blog, you are quite aware that I do not support charitable organization that use Celebrities and expensive campaigns to mislead you on how the actual dollars collected are spent. What organizations like Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) do not tell you is the organization’s hidden agenda is to End Animal Agriculture. That is correct- the real goal of the organization is not to allow farmers and ranchers to raise livestock.
Putting that known fact aside, I want to explain why you should not support the HSUS with one dollar. Do not buy one of those cute T-Shirts with your favorite dog on the front or pledge to be a HSUS Humane Hero. In fact all the dollars collected by HSUS goes to the big scheme and very little go to the actual local shelter.
411 on HSUS
Your local Humane Society (local shelters) feeds, caretakes, and houses unwanted pets. The local shelters work hard to find loving homes to these animals on very small budgets. The Humane Society of the United States is a lobbying group that spends a large sum of money each year on lobbying efforts, celebrity endorsements, misleading advertisements, and high end salaries.
“HSUS is big, rich, and powerful. While most local animal shelters are under-funded and unsung, HSUS has accumulated $162 million in assets and built a recognizable brand by capitalizing on the confusion its very name provokes. This misdirection results in an irony of which most animal lovers are unaware: HSUS raises enough money to finance animal shelters in every single state, with money to spare, yet it doesn’t operate a single one anywhere.” - ActivistCash.com [ActivistCash.com has excellent documented information about HSUS]
The Clever “for only $19 a month HSUS Campaign” actually only gives less than 1% of its budget to local shelters. According to the actual HSUS’s 2010 tax return, the organization spent more money on lobbying efforts and pension plans than on pet-shelter grants.
- HSUS spent $3.6 million on lobbying. (If you see an HSUS ad showing an abused and malnourished lobbyist, let us know.)
- HSUS had 636 employees, including 29 who earned more than $100,000.
- HSUS spent a whopping $47 million on fundraising-related costs, or about 37 percent of HSUS budget.
- HSUS’s pet-shelter grants totaled just $528,676, or 0.418 percent of HSUS’s budget.
“Read those last two bullet points again: The “Humane Society” of the United States spends almost 90 times more on fundraising than it spends on pet-shelter grants. If that doesn’t show you the real priorities of this “factory fundraising” operation, nothing will.
2. Ag Advocates have joined the voices like Humane Watch Team in speaking the truth about HSUS. As result of criticism the HSUS provided a list of assistance for local shelters. Items on the list: Humane Society University, Animal Sheltering Magazine, conducting shelter evaluations, and hosting conference.
Did you know?
- Local shelters are charged a subscription fee for Animal Sheltering magazine.
- A Shelter Evaluation costs up to $25,000
- A undergraduate class at Humane Society University costs $1050 a class or $1350 for graduate-level class.
- Registration for HSUS Animal Care Expo $250
Do think local shelters can afford any of these fees? NO – I would bet you that each shelter is barely making ends meet to save actual animals lives and I am confident the employees are earning very little to $0 out of passion caretaking for those animals.
3. Lastly, the Humane Watch Team posted actual statements straight from Local Pet Shelters employees' mouth (published in media):
“In my experience, in the last 15 years, it's been nothing, in this area, that I know of. We got without food here and we couldn't find a place for it, so I contacted the national humane society, to ask them for help, to help us find some or donate some food for the animals. They wouldn't even give me the time of day, hardly. In fact, they were rude about it, in the office. I think that is tugging at people's hearts, showing those animals and also to receive money nationwide. They need to send it directly to us or to the other shelters.”
--Del Nesmith, Director, Humane Society of Odessa (on News9 Texas)
I am simply the messenger here. Hard working groups like HumaneWatch.Org have uncovered the facts and share them free of charge to everyone. ActivistCash was created by the Center for Consumer Freedom to provide detailed and up-to-date information about the funding sources of organizations and activists, whether respectable or radical.
In the past, I have shared many facts showing how HSUS’s real agenda is to end Animal Agriculture but I hope you can see by the facts listed above are reason enough not to support the evil HSUS Monster. The only way to stop the Evil is to stop feeding it. I beg you DO NOT SUPPORT HSUS AND DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS SUPPORT THEM. Do yourself favor donate to the local shelter instead.