Ask a Margins Expert
Have a margins question? Through this blog, you will gain insight into improving your bottom line, as a margins expert answers questions and provides farm business advice.
Business Planning Starts with Mission and Goals
Jan 10, 2011
Welcome everyone to my first blog on the topics of managing farm margins: cost of production and business management. I’m an Iowa corn and soybean producer and I also work as an independent business consultant with other farmers across the United States.
As with any endeavor it's important to set forth several key structures to ensure, or at least increase the likelihood of success. Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to start out with a mission statement for my blog and support it with several goals, just as any good business plan should be started.
The mission of this blog is to provide timely and useful information to producers in order to encourage creative solutions and ideas for their businesses; as we face many unique challenges and opportunities in the year ahead.
1. Help individual producers understand the critical importance of cost of production management.
2. Challenge producers to look critically at decisions.
3. Assist producers to think outside of the box when faced with unique challenges.
4. Understand the challenges that occur so rapidly and help keep the focus on what is really important; be flexible in the face of rapid change.
5. Answer questions in a helpful and simple manner.
As we begin the New Year we all have the opportunity to improve our businesses. Let’s get to work!