What choices do you have if you are prevented from planting by the final planting date?
According to the Risk Management Agency of USDA, you may:
- Plant the insured crop during the late planting period, if applicable. The late planting period is generally 25 days after the final planting date but varies by crop and area, as specified in the policy. For most crops, the timely planted production guarantee is reduced 1% per day for each day planting is delayed after the final planting date.
- Plant the insured crop after the late planting period (or after the final planting date if a late planting period is not applicable), in which case the insurance guarantee will be the same as the insurance guarantee provided for pre- vented planting coverage.
- Leave the acreage idle (black dirt) and receive a full prevented planting payment.
- Plant a cover crop and receive a full prevented planting payment (but do not hay or graze this cover crop before November 1 or otherwise harvest it at any time), or
- Plant another crop (second crop) after the late planting period or after the final planting date if no late planting period is applicable, or hay or graze a cover crop after the end of the late planting period or after the final planting date if no late planting period is applicable but be- fore November 1, or otherwise harvest it at any time, and receive a prevented planting payment equal to 35 percent of the prevented planting guarantee.
Good documentation is key
No matter what you choose,good documentation is key to receiving prevented planting payments, says Gary Hachfeld, University of Minnesota Extension farm management specialist.
“There are many provisions included in the prevented-planting provision of federal crop insurance,” Hachfeld says. “When in doubt, read your crop insurance policy or contact your crop insurance agent. Any small infraction of any of the provisions can result in no indemnity payment and loss of the crop insurance protection you purchased.”
Work with your approved insurance provider to determine the documentation needed for a specific prevented planting claim.