Farmland Auctions Bring Strong Prices
Jan 29, 2010
The trend of strong farmland auctions continues. As we noted last fall, buyers (usually farmers) were stepping up strongly for good quality farmland. And that trend has continued through winter. Here are a few sales we've seen recently as evidence.
* Henderson County, Illinois near Stronghurst; 83 acres with an optimum predicted corn yield (OPCY) of 177.2, $8,525 per acre; 83 acres with an OPCY of 175.3, $8,050 per acre.
* Mercer County, Illinois south of Aledo; 78 acres all tillable, Productivity Index (PI) 132.8, highly erodible land, (HEL), $6,000 per acre.
* Champaign County, Illinois northwest of Rantoul; 160 acres, mostly all tillable, $7,025 per acre.
* McDonough County, Illinois northeast of Adair; 100% tillable, OPCY 172.4, $8,275 per acre.
* Douglas County, Illinois 80 acres northeast of Arthur; mostly all tillable, PIs ranging from 131.9 to 133.7, selling prices of $6,100 per acre to $7,200 per acre.
* Warren County, Illinois 83.5 acres south of Roseville; mostly all tillable; $8,400 per acre.
* Wabash County, Indiana northwest of Somerset; 140 acres, 121 acres tillable, 3-acre farmstead, $6,286 per acre.
* Warren County, Indiana south of Ambia; 467 acres, 131 acres tillable; $5,183 per acre.
* Clinton County, Indiana southwest of Franklin; 506 acres, 486 acres tillable, selling prices ranging from $5,688 per acre to $7,000 per acre.
* LaPorte County, Indiana south of LaPorte; 402 acres, 381 acres tillable, $6,331 per acre.
* Fayette County, Ohio northwest of Washington Court House; 56 acres mostly all tillable, $5,357; 98 acres, 85 acres tillable, $5,368 per acre.
* Hardin County, Iowa southwest of Radcliffe; 71.5 acres Corn Suitability Rating (CSR) 80.2 versus county average of 75.9, 1.5 megawatt wind turbine producing $6,105 annually, $6,900 per acre.
* Story County, Iowa; 72 acres, mostly all tillable, CSR 71 versus county average of 77.6, $5,150 per acre.
* Marion County, Iowa northwest of Pella; 428 acres mostly tillable with very high CSRs versus county average (85 versus 56.1), selling prices ranging from $3,900 to $6,400 per acre.
* Shelby County, Iowa near Harlan; 39 acres, CSR 88 versus 58.2 county average, $5,769.
* Lyon County, Iowa northwest of Rock Rapids; 37 acres, CSR 61 versus 59.5 county average, $6,100 per acre.
* Madison County, Iowa west of Earlham; 153 acres, CSR 80.4 versus 53.6 county average, $6,025 per acre.
* Sioux County, Iowa south of Boyden; 91 acres, mostly all tillable, CSR 70.4 versus 64.8 county average, $8,500 per acre.
* Waseca County, Minnesota northwest of Janesville; 80 acres, 66.5 acres tillable; $5,079 per tillable acre.
* Redwood County, Minnesota south of Wabasso; 460 acres selling from $3,206 per acre to $5,777 per acre.
* Nobles County, Minnesota north of Little Rock, Iowa; 80 acres; $6,400 per acre.
* Kearney County, Nebraska south of Axtell; 158 irrigated acres, land and irrigation wells, tenant retained irrigation rig; $4,719 per acre.
* Dodge County, Nebraska northwest of Fremont; 72 acres 50% Class 1 & 2 soils and 50% Class 3 soils, $4,900 per acre.
* Finney County, Kansas east of Garden City; 320 acres of expired CRP land without water, $1,025 per acre to $1,100.
I list many more sales results in each issue of LandOwner. If interested in seeing a copy of the LandOwner newsletter, just drop me an email at email@example.com or call 800-772-0023.