Jul 23, 2014
Sign UpLogin


April 2013 Archive for Your Favorite Tractor

RSS By: Your Favorite Tractor, Farm Journal

Here’s your chance to share a photo of your favorite tractor.

1966 Farmall 1206

Apr 22, 2013

1978 Case 580C Backhoe

Apr 20, 2013

This 1978 Case 580C backhoe is featured on the cover of the May 2013 edition of Fastline’s Wisconsin Farm Edition:

042013 WisconsinFarm 1978Case580CBackhoe

Rowntree Farms, Inc., of Kansasville, Wis., owns the tractor, and Bryan Rowntree of Kansasville repainted it. Read more in the digital version of Fastline’s Wisconsin Farm Edition. 
 

1968 Case IH 1256 and 1970 Case IH 1456

Apr 19, 2013

These tractors—a 1968 Case IH 1256 and 1970 Case IH 1456—are featured on the cover of the July 2013 edition of Fastline’s Indiana Farm Edition:

041913 IndianaFarm 1968CaseIH1256and1970CaseIH1456

Coy Winslow of Fairmont, Ind., owns the 1256, while Richard Walker of Charlottesville, Ind., owns the 1456. Read more in the digital version of Fastline’s Indiana Farm Edition. 
 

Tractor Songs: Readers Pick Favorites

Apr 17, 2013

Restoring antique tractors is serious business (and seriously fun), but here at Your Favorite Tractor, we like to lighten the mood periodically.

To that end, we posted a callout on Farm Journal's Facebook page asking our audience to share its favorite songs about tractors.

Here is the playlist we built using Grooveshark:

Best Tractor Songs by natebirt on Grooveshark

And here's a YouTube playlist we created with some video highlights:

Post a comment to let us know how we did!

Tractor Trendsetters: International 8-16 & PTO

Apr 05, 2013

Tractor Trendsetters: International 8-16 & PTO

Written by Larry Gay


With the trend to smaller tractors, IH introduced the 2-plow Mogul 8-16 with a 1-cylinder, horizontal engine in 1914 and the 3-plow Titan 10-20 with a 2-cylinder, horizontal engine in 1915. The Mogul, built at the Tractor Works in Chicago, had one forward speed and an exposed chain final drive. The Titan, built at the Milwaukee Works, provided two forward speeds and used two exposed chains for its final drive. In 1918, International Harvester introduced the International 8-16 and added a power take-off (PTO) attachment the following year. The PTO attachment made the International 8-16 a tractor trendsetter.

The International 8-16 with eight drawbar horsepower and 16 belt horsepower was built at the Tractor Works with a vertical, 4-cylinder engine and a 3-speed transmission. The kerosene-burning engine had a rated speed of 1,000 rpm. The radiator was located in the middle of the tractor, behind the engine, which permitted a sloping hood over the engine. The final drive continued to be two exposed chains. The PTO attachment for the 8-16 is considered to be the first commercially successful PTO in the U.S. There is very little information available about this PTO attachment, but in one photograph the PTO shaft appears to be located under the tractor’s right rear axle and at about the same height as the drawbar. The PTO became a third way for a tractor to transmit power, along with belt power and drawbar power. Harvester later advertised its tractors as "triple power tractors."

Harvesting equipment, such as grain binders, corn binders, and corn pickers, had been powered by a large ground-engaging wheel which was prone to slippage in wet or muddy conditions. The PTO quickly became the preferred way to power these machines and most of the major tractor manufacturers began offering a PTO attachment for their tractors. However by 1926, there were seven sizes of PTO shafts on tractors, located from 32 inches ahead of the drawbar hitch pin to 13 inches behind the hitch pin. The location varied widely as the PTO shaft for the Fordson extended under the tractor’s right rear axle and the PTO shaft for the John Deere D was located above the left rear axle.

The American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE) issued a PTO standard in April 1927 which described the size and type of shaft, the speed and direction of rotation, and a location near the tractor’s centerline above the drawbar and ahead of the drawbar pin hole. Revisions were made in July 1928, March 1931, and August 1941 to improve the standard and eliminate some of the variations. This ASAE standard resulted in a 540-rpm, 1.38-inch diameter shaft with six splines, located on the tractor’s centerline, and 14 inches ahead of the drawbar pin hole.

Larry Gay is the author of four tractor books published by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, including Farm Tractors 1975-1995 and Farm Tractors 1995-2005. These books may be obtained from ASABE at 800-695-2723 or asabe.org, click publications and then click book catalog.
 

1964 Farmall 806 Diesel

Apr 05, 2013

This 1964 Farmall 806 Diesel tractor is featured on the cover of the May 2013 edition of Fastline’s Far West Ag Edition:

040513 FarWestFarm 1964Farmall806Diesel

Bobby Russell owns the tractor, and Powder Mills Farm Equipment restored it. Read more in the digital version of Fastline’s Far West Ag Edition.
 

JD 7520 W/Mead Repower

Apr 01, 2013

This 7520 owned by Tom Mead of Amboy, Ill., was repowered with a Mead conversion using a 903 Cummins, the Heritage Iron 2013 Calendar reports:

4 Apr JD 7520 With Mead Repower

This is the featured Heritage Iron 2013 Calendar tractor for April. To order the calendar, go to HeritageIron.com.
 

Log In or Sign Up to comment

COMMENTS

Hot Links & Cool Tools

    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

facebook twitter youtube View More>>
 
 
 
 
The Home Page of Agriculture
© 2014 Farm Journal, Inc. All Rights Reserved|Web site design and development by AmericanEagle.com|Site Map|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions