Writing an Employment Policy
Nov 30, 2010
From Legacy Moment eNewsletter (11/26/2010)
Please join us for future issues, delivered via email each Friday
An employment policy should clearly define the rules of engagement for a family member who may be interested in working in the family organization. The employment policy should be clear and concise. It should spell out, in specific terms, the conditions in which a person may seek an employment opportunity. All too often, parents are held to unrealistic expectations when it comes to employing family members in a farming operation.
We all know that communication is the key to success when dealing with people. Yet oral communication is always subject to individual interpretation. A written employment policy allows everyone in the organization the opportunity to read the specific language and interpret the fairness of the policy. A well-written, judiciously implemented policy will help the entire staff to better understand the family/business connection.
The employment policy should include:
- Company management structure
- Job descriptions including eligibility – skills/abilities/experience/education necessary for a position
- An explanation of wages/benefits
- Application/interview process
- Promotional opportunities and review process
- Disciplinary action/termination with and without cause
- Training available and developmental opportunities/expectations
The company employment policy should be adopted and reviewed with each and every family member who may express an interest in working in the family operation.
News & Resources for You
Did you know the Legacy Project now offers a free download of the Legacy Project Workbook?
Now is a good time to hire skilled workers.
When to begin succession planning? Eight questions to consider now.
Sign up for, or learn more about, Legacy Project Workshops in December:
- Dec. 7 in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Dec. 8 in Columbus, Ohio
- Dec. 10 in Lansing, Michigan
- Dec. 16 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Remember to sign up for the Legacy Project Newsletter, delivered via email every Friday. Also join us on facebook and twitter.