Keep your acreage, weather and crop comments coming in! Use this link to send us your comments about your wheat production and marketing decisions. Be sure to send us your photos and videos! Comments will be edited for brevity and clarity. (Please keep your comments crop-related.)
Here's a sampling of what some folks are saying:
- 4/13/2016 Crawford County, IA: Adding fertilizer to winter wheat for last couple of weeks. Fields could use some rain.
- 4/7/2016 Yellowstone County, MT: small grain planting about done around here got good rain last week which we needed , now 60 mph plus winds by by moisture been one of warmest , driest, windy springs i can remember in a long time , corn planting a few weeks away , going to start beets end of this week , got to kinda go HMMM on usda report on corn acres , now i see on here monsanto compaining earning down because of less seed sales in corn , soybeans and wheat , huh but corn acres way up , did everybody switch to non gmo corn ? or holding seed back like not suppose to do ? where is all the seed coming from when they say seed says down 12 % and iam sure pioneers sales are down also because there seed prices are way more than monsantos seed corn at least around here anyways . just wondering what Gluke has to say about that ? or anyone else !
- 3/28/2016 Madison County, IL: Very dry for this early in the year. Wheat looks good, ground conditions are great.
- 3/18/2016 Ford County, KS: wheat is jointed anywhere from 1 to 2 inchs now , i have to laugh at the latest market commentary why money is coming out of wheat , 21 degrees to night for over 6 hours with no cover, 21 tomorrow night ,just reading on here i see were wheat is 2 to 4 weeks ahead of normal all the way to MT , i have been farming over 35 years and have never seen wheat so early , yes its going to be damaged .
- 3/18/2016 Washington County, CO: Wheat in this area looks like an average to below average crop at this point. Real uneven looking stands as some came up last fall and the rest during the winter or early spring and some not at all. Not anywhere near the crop we've had the last couple of years. Will need moisture soon as it came out of dormancy 2-3 weeks early and temps are well above average with wind nearly everyday. A lot of nitrogen being applied where corn will be planted this spring. Not much wheat topdressing happening with prices at these levels. Back to the days of farming for nothing only this time there is no government support to help. Hard to have much optimism about our future.
- 3/14/2016 Chouteau County, MT: Winter wheat in our area about 3 to 4 weeks ahead of normal with temps forecast in the teens later in the week. Looks a lot like last year when many farmers in our area hayed their wheat due to severe frost damage in May. Might actually break even this way.
- 3/10/2016 Cheyenne County, NE: Wheat is ahead of normal. We are setting up for more freeze damage than we had last year. The moisture situation is adequate. We'll see what develops.
- 3/1/2016 Ford County, KS: Wheat in this area is about 2 to 3 weeks ahead of normal to say the least , the next week of temps looks hot , i give it about a 65% chance of freeze damage ,apparently the world is full of grain anyway according to the usda reports ,not to mention any names . I read something on here about a year ago ( buy dec corn plant nothing ) would't that get some paper boys fired up.
- 1/6/2016 Rush County, IN: Looked at some winter wheat today and it is big! Ran the GDD numbers and from Oct 1st to end of 2015 we had 1693 gdd vs. 1154 ave for past 3 years. We have been fortunate that the 5-6" of rain we got at end of the year did not come as snow or we would still be shoveling! God Bless to everyone this coming year.