Felling Dairy, Sauk Centre, Minn., took Grand Champion honors and was awarded a $2,500 check for its BMR corn silage entry in the World Forage Analysis Superbowl. The cash award was presented by Kemin, and was one of many recognizing top-quality forage entries in the annual contest.
More than $22,000 in cash prizes were awarded to top-finishing producers participating in this year’s contest. Producers submitted 385 entries in seven forage categories, representing 24 states and provinces. The winners were announced Sept. 30 at the World Forage Analysis Superbowl Awards Luncheon, sponsored by Mycogen Seeds, at World Dairy Expo.
The Grand Champion First-Time Entrant cash award of $1,500 went to Mar Bec Dairy, Mondovi, Wis. The prize money was made possible by Kuhn North America.
Champions of the seven forage categories, and their sponsors, include:
Each category’s top finisher received $1,500. Second-place winners received $500; third-place, $250; and fourth-place winners, $100 each.
In addition, two Quality Counts Awards were awarded for quality forage production; however, the criteria for selection are unknown to contestants at the time of entry. This year’s Hay/Haylage and Corn Silage winners were selected based on uNDF, undigestible neutral detergent fiber. CROPLAN By Winfield presented each winner with $1,000. The top entry for the Quality Counts Corn Silage was Mar Bec Dairy, Mondovi, Wis. In the Quality Counts Hay/Haylage category, Berney Ranch Inc., Okanogan, Wash., topped the category.
Growers from across the U.S. and Canada were invited to send their best samples in either dairy or commercial divisions. Dairy samples are judged on lab analysis (60%), visual judging (30%), and calculated milk per ton (10%). Commercial entries are judged on lab analysis (70%) and visual judging (30%). Visual judging consists of analysis of the color, texture, maturity and leafiness, depending on the category. Dairyland Laboratories, located in DePere, Wis., tested the samples.
Sponsors of the 2015 World Forage Analysis Superbowl include category sponsors Ag-Bag, Agri-King, Barenbrug USA, Agrisure Traits, CROPLAN By WinField, Kemin, Kuhn North America, Mycogen Seeds, NEXGROW alfalfa and W-L Research. Additional support is provided by the National Hay Association as the Silver Sponsor.
Organizing partners for this year’s contest include DairyBusiness Communications; Dairyland Laboratories, Inc.; Hay & Forage Grower; U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center; University of Wisconsin-Madison; and World Dairy Expo.
The top five placings from each category are:
Grand Champion Baleage - Sponsored by Agri-King:
- 1st Place – Pounder Brothers, Inc., Delevan, Wis.
- 2nd Place – Olson Farms, Lena, Wis.
- 3rd Place – Mackinnon Farms, Thorntown, Wis.
- 4th Place – Royal Elm Dairy, Spencer, Wis.
- 5th Place –Katherine Guither, Walnut, Ill.
Grand Champion Commercial Hay - Sponsored by NEXGROW Alfalfa:
- 1st Place – Fegler Farms, Arapahoe, Wyo.
- 2nd Place – Berney Ranch, Inc., Okanogan, Wash.
- 3rd Place – Greer Ranch, Hyattville, Wyo.
- 4th Place – Lazy 2K Farm, Wheatland, Wyo.
- 5th Place –Kamps Alfalfa Farm, Darlington, Wis.
Grand Champion Dairy Hay - Sponsored by W-L Research:
- 1st Place – S & B Dairy, Sigel, Ill.
- 2nd Place – Frozene Farm, Westfield, Wis.
- 3rd Place – Olson Farms, Lena, Wis.
- 4th Place – Mountainside Farm, Taylorsville, NC
- 5th Place –Austin Haywood, Hastings, MI
Grand Champion Grass Hay - Sponsored by Barenbrug USA:
- 1st Place – Angel Rose Dairy, Bainbridge, N.Y.
- 2nd Place – Donald Hasselquist, Osceola, Wis.
- 3rd Place – Indianhead Holsteins, Barron, Wis.
- 4th Place – Church Farms, Grand Marsh, Wis.
- 5th Place –Dawn Mar Farm, Pitman, Pa.
Grand Champion Haylage - Sponsored by Ag-Bag:
- 1st Place – Verhasselt Dairy, Kaukauna, Wis.
- 2nd Place – Co-Vista Holsteins LLC, Arcade, N.Y.
- 3rd Place – Woldt Farms, Brillion, Wis.
- 4th Place – Albert Martin, Colby, Wis.
- 5th Place –Peterson Dairy LLC, Lena, Wis.
Grand Champion Standard Corn Silage - Sponsored by Agrisure Traits:
- 1st Place – Olson Farms, Lena, Wis.
- 2nd Place – Valley View Dairy, Richland Center, Wis.
- 3rd Place – Jason Baughman, Glencoe, Pa.
- 4th Place – Millview Farm, Pilesgrove, N.J.
- 5th Place – Peterson Dairy LLC, Lena, Wis.
Grand Champion BMR Corn Silage - Mycogen Seeds:
- 1st Place – Dwi-Bet Farms, Addison, N.Y.
- 2nd Place – Tayl-Wind Farm, Cassville, N.Y.
- 3rd Place – Luckwaldt Ag LLC, Woodville, Wis.
- 4th Place – BGR Dairy, Lake Park, Minn.
- 5th Place – Emerling Dairy, Perry, N.Y.
Source: World Dairy Expo