If you enjoy taking photos of Hereford cattle this contest is for you. Each month the American Hereford Association (AHA) will announce a theme for photo submissions. Entries will be judged by a panel of industry experts. The panel will select the top five submissions that will then vie for a “People’s Choice Award” on the BuyHereford Facebook Page.
The photos submitted could be used in Hereford marketing and promotion projects including ad campaigns, newsletters and the AHA website plus in the Hereford World.
- May — All About the Bull
- The Hereford bull must be dominant in the photo. Suggested poses include ¾ front or rear-view, a group of bulls, or a bull with cows and/or calves.
- June — The Momma
- Photo must feature the Hereford cow. Calves or bulls may be in the photo but the focus must be on the cow.
- July — Unbeatable Baldie
- Photo must feature baldies — females or calves. Can also include a Hereford bull in the photo but that’s not required.
- August — Hereford Juniors in Action
- Hereford youth must be the focus with a Hereford also in the photo. Examples could include working cattle, feeding, showing, fitting, etc.
- September — Out to Pasture
- Scenic cow herd shots. This can include only Hereford cattle or can be a commercial herd with a Hereford bull and baldie calves.
- October — Working Cattle
- Images of working cattle from giving shots to branding to sorting cattle.
- November — The Sale Ring
- Images of Hereford or Hereford-influenced cattle in a sale ring. Can be from a production sale or a sale barn. Can include any image related to sale day.
- December — Calving and Calves
- Images of new babies to pre-weaning. Can include the cow.
Monthly “People’s Choice” winners will be recognized online and in the magazine. In late December, the eight monthly winners will vie for the title of 2015 photo of the year. The winner will receive a $100 ShopHereford.com gift card.
Entry deadlines are the 1st of each month. For example, the “All About the Bull” photos are due May 1. The top five entries will be posted to Facebook by the 5th of each month. And Facebook voting will be open till the 10th.
For more information about the contest, email Angie Denton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo submission requirements
- We will only accept high-quality, high-resolution, color photos submitted electronically. Digital submissions must be 300 dpi, minimum 8"×10" or 8"×12", and in JPG format.
- No artwork, paintings, Polaroids or enhanced images will be accepted.
- To submit: email or dropbox images to email@example.com.
- All photos become the property of the AHA. We reserve the right to use any images submitted in the Hereford World or for any AHA or Certified Hereford Beef marketing purpose.
- Please include the following information with each photo entered:
- Title of photo
- Photographer’s name and address
- Email address
- Phone number
Source: American Hereford Association