Liam Condon, president of Bayer’s Crop Science Division, has been tapped to lead the crop science executive leadership team of a new, merged company once the closing of Bayer’s acquisition of rival Monsanto is cleared by global regulators.
Two key leaders from Monsanto, CEO Hugh Grant and Chief Technology Officer Dr. Robb Fraley, will leave the company shortly after the acquisition is completed. In a note to employees, Grant said eight members of the Monsanto leadership team representing more than 250 years of service will not transfer to Bayer.
“All of you have pushed our global team to do better, to see challenges as opportunities, to deliver innovation and keep our customers first,” Grant told Monsanto employees. “I’m proud of the path we have paved, and I know, together with Bayer, the company will continue to move modern agriculture forward. I will always be your biggest champion.”
Monsanto Chief Operating Officer Brett Begemann will continue in that role with Bayer after the merger, heading up the commercial operations of the crop division.
Other members of the newly announced leaderhip team include:
• Dr. Michael Stern will become Head of Digital Farming / Climate Corporation. He currently serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Monsanto’s Climate Corporation. Stern will be based in St. Louis.
• Dr. Robert Reiter will be Head of Research & Development. He is the current Technology Integration Planning Lead at Monsanto. He will be based in Monheim.
• Frank Terhorst will become Head of Crop Strategy & Portfolio Management. Currently, he is responsible for Pre-Merger Planning within Bayer’s Crop Science Division. Terhorst will be based in St. Louis.
• Dr. Dirk Backhaus will serve as the Head of Product Supply. He currently holds the same position within Bayer’s Crop Science Division. He will be based in Monheim.
• Jesus Madrazo will become Head of Agricultural Affairs & Sustainability. Currently, he is responsible for Global Supply Chain and Commercial Operations at Monsanto. Madrazo will be based in Monheim.
• James Swanson will become Crop Science Chief Information Officer and Head of IT / Digital Transformation. He currently serves as Chief Information Officer at Monsanto. He will be based in Monheim.
• Gabriele Oehlschlaeger will serve as Head of Human Resources. Currently, she is responsible for Talent Management within Bayer’s Human Resources & Organization. She will be based in Monheim.
• Michael Schulz will become Chief Financial Officer Crop Science and Head of Finance. He is currently responsible for Finance for Bayer’s Crop Science Division and will be based in St. Louis.
• Dr. Lars Benecke will become Head of Law, Patents and Compliance. He currently holds the same position within Bayer’s Crop Science Division and will be based in Monheim.
• Martin Dawkins will become Head of Post-Merger Integration. Currently, he is responsible for Post-Merger Integration within Bayer’s Crop Science Division. Dawkins will be based in Monheim.
The new leadership structure will become effective at the closing of the Monsanto purchase.