Nebraska Extension will host 11 beef profitability workshops to help beef producers evaluate their operations to make them more profitable thorough latest research information.
UNL Extension educators Steve Pritchard, Larry Howard, Dennis Bauer, Gary Stauffer, Jim Jansen and Steve Niemeyer will present information and practical approaches for producers.
The Extension-sponsored workshops have been held across Nebraska for the past 11 years. Cost is $10 but may vary from location depending on local sponsorship. Those interested can register by calling the local Extension office in the host county at least three days before the workshop to ensure there are enough handouts and refreshments.
For more information, contact Steve Niemeyer, UNL Extension Educator in Garfield, Loup, and Wheeler counties, at 308-346-4200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the topics that will be presented at each location by presenters include: Harvesting Crop Residues: Does it Affect Future Crop Yields?; Balancing the Ranch for Protein; Alternative Forages for Grazing; Fencing and Watering Options on Crop Residue; Mineral Nutrition; Composting Livestock Carcasses; Windrow Grazing; Forage Testing and What the Numbers Mean; EPDs and Bull Selection; and Economics in the Beef Industry and Beef Outlook.
Dates, sites, speakers and contact information for the sessions are:
* 1 p.m. Jan. 29, courthouse meeting room, Center (no meal). Speakers are Dennis Bauer and Steve Pritchard. Contact Ruth Vonderohe, 402-288-5611.
* 6 p.m. Jan. 29, courthouse, Pierce (with meal). Speakers are Dennis Bauer and Steve Pritchard. Contact Ann Fenton, 402-329-4821.
* 11 a.m. Jan 30, Colfax County Fairgrounds, Leigh (with meal). Speakers are Steve Niemeyer and Gary Stauffer. Contact Aaron Nygren, 402-352-3821.
* 6 p.m. Feb. 2, courthouse, Hartington (with meal). Speakers are Steve Pritchard and Gary Stauffer. Contact Jim Jansen, 402-254-6821.
* Noon Feb. 3, courthouse, Neligh (with lunch). Speakers are Dennis Bauer, Larry Howard and Jim Jansen. Contact Rod Wilke, 402-887-5414.
* 1:30 p.m. Feb. 5, Valley Fairgrounds, Ord (no meal). Speakers are Steve Niemeyer, Gary Stauffer and Larry Howard. Contact Doug Anderson, 308-728-5071.
* 1:30 p.m. Feb. 10, courthouse, O’Neil (no meal). Speakers are Dennis Bauer and Gary Stauffer. Contact Gary Stauffer, 402-336-2760.
* 6:30 p.m. Feb. 10, Methodist Church, Bassett (no meal). Speakers are Gary Stauffer and Dennis Bauer.
Contact Dennis Bauer, 402-387-2213.
* 1:30 p.m. Feb. 17, location TBA, Albion (no meal). Contact Steve Pritchard, 402-395-2158.
* 6:30 p.m. Feb. 19, courthouse, West Point (no meal). Contact Larry Howard, 402-372-6006.
* 1:30 p.m. Feb. 24, community room, Taylor (no meal). Speakers are Dennis Bauer, Gary Stauffer and Larry Howard. Contact Steve Niemeyer, 308-346-4200.
Source: University of Nebraska