Source: California Milk Advisory Board
California cow's milk cheesemakers won 23 awards, including a distinguished Second Place Best of Show, at the 2009 annual cheese competition held by the American Cheese Society (ACS), Aug. 5-8 in Austin, Texas.
The ACS recognizes the finest cheeses produced in the U.S.
A record 1,327 cheeses and cultured dairy products were entered into the competition. California cheeses had another strong showing this year, competing against 197 producers from 32 states, another ACS record.
California cow's milk cheeses won five first-place, five second-place and 12 third-place awards in this year's judging, with California-based Cowgirl Creamery winning Second Place Best of Show for its Red Hawk cow's milk cheese, a triple-cream, washed-rind, fully-flavored cheese.
California first-place winners in the 2009 competition included:
- Cowgirl Creamery, Point Reyes Station, for Red Hawk in the Washed Rind Cheeses category;
- Cantaré Foods, San Diego, for Mascarpone in the Fresh Unripened Cheeses category;
- Rumiano Cheese Company, Crescent City, for Old Fashioned Monterey Jack in the American Originals category;
- Arthur Schuman Inc., Vernon, for Messana String Cheese in the Italian Type Cheeses category;
- Karoun Dairies Inc., Turlock, for Labne in the Cultured Milk Products category.
In all, 10 California cow's milk cheese producers won awards, two more than in 2008.
In addition to the first-place awards above, Karoun Dairies Inc. took home five other second and third-place awards, Arthur Schuman Inc. received an additional second-place award and Rumiano Cheese Company earned an additional second-place award.
Other winning California cow's milk cheesemakers included: Marin French Cheese Company (five awards), Mozzarella Fresca (two awards), Winchester Cheese Company, Spring Hill Jersey Cheese and Fiscalini Cheese Company, each respectively winning one award.
These award-wining California cheeses tout the Real California Cheese seal and can be found at retailers nationwide. For more information on California cheese and dairy products, visit: www.RealCaliforniaMilk.com. For more information on ACS competition winners, go to: www.cheesesociety.org.