How will California’s dairying future look? Dairy producer Tony Mendes of Riverdale, Calif., foresees that:
- the Golden State will have fewer facility ownerships but more cows and higher per-cow production.
- new megadairies will be built, but at a slower rate.
- dairy producers will be more educated and more exposed to financing practices and commodity trading.
- new and expanded processing plants will be built primarily by co-ops, with an emphasis on specialty products.
- dairy producers will spend less time with cows and more time in the office, where critical business decisions are paramount.
- the state will have to decide whether or not to support national supply management.
- survival in the absence of a relevant support price program is debatable.