Livestock officials say an equipment malfunction allowed E. coli to survive in beef at a Montana meat plant.
Meat Inspection Bureau Chief Gary Hamel will report to the Board of Livestock on Monday that contaminated ground beef was identified during a weekly sampling in early June and destroyed. He says none of it was shipped to consumers.
Hamel says a water machine used to clean cow carcasses at the facility was clogged and could not reach a high enough temperature to kill pathogens.
The machine was fixed and the bureau increased inspections at that facility.
Board of Livestock Executive Officer Christian Mackay and Hamel say they cannot release the name of the plant or its location because no recall was necessary.
Hamel says it was the first positive sample the inspection bureau has seen since it was formed in 1989.