Source: DFA news release
Missouri dairy producer Randy Mooney has been elected chairman of the board of Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. (DFA), the nation's largest dairy cooperative.
DFA's board of directors elected Mooney to the position at the co-op's annual meeting this week
Mooney takes the position formerly held by Tom Camerlo, who passed away in December. Also at the election meeting, the Board named Wayne Palla first vice chair.
Mooney, of Rogersville, Mo., most recently served as first vice chair of the DFA board. He also is a member of DFA's executive committee and chair of the Southeast Area Council. In addition, Mooney is chair of National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) and serves on the boards of several dairy organizations, including Missouri Dairy Association, Missouri State Milk, Southern Marketing Agency, Dairy Cooperative Marketing Association, Inc., Milk Processor Education program and Dairy Promotion, Inc.
Palla, of Clovis, N.M., previously served as vice chair of DFA's board. He also is a member of DFA's executive committee and chair of the Southwest Area Council. He is on the NMPF board and the U.S. Dairy Export Council.
"Randy has a strong history of leadership in the dairy industry, and I know that he will continue that tradition as he takes on this new role for the DFA board,” said Rick Smith, DFA president and chief executive officer. "With continued volatility pressing our farmer owners, there promises to be many challenges ahead, but I'm confident that Randy and Wayne's combined knowledge, experience and sound judgment will serve the cooperative and our members well.”
The complete slate of elected board officers also includes:
- Mickey Childers, Somerville, Ala. – Newly elected as a board officer, Childers will serve as vice chair of the DFA board and chair of the audit committee.
- Tom Croner, Berlin, Pa. – Croner will continue his roles as secretary/treasurer of the board and chair of the Finance and Budget Committee.
- Jerrel Heatwole, Greenwood, Del. – Heatwole will continue serving as vice chair of the board and chair of the Government, Member and Public Relations Committee.
- George Mertens, Sonoma, Calif. – Mertens will continue serving as vice chair of the board and chair of the Fluid Marketing and Public Policy Committee.
- Bill Siebenborn, Trenton, Mo. – Siebenborn will continue serving as vice chair of the board and chair of the Value-Added Committee.
In addition, two new directors took seats on the board as a result of recent elections in their areas. They are Eugene Robertson of Pine Grove, La., and Pete Olsen of Fallon, Nev.