Steamed Date Pudding
- 1/2 c. melted shortening
- 1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1-1/2 c. dates, pitted and chopped
- 1-1/2 c. sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1/2 c. chopped black walnuts
- Hard sauce (recipe below)
- Combine shortening, brown sugar and eggs; stir in dates.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Fold into egg mixture with lemon rind and nuts. (If pudding seems dry, add 1 to 2 tblsp. milk.) Fill 8 greased individual molds 2/3 full.
- Steam on rack (with 1" hot water) in covered kettle 1 hour, or in pressure pan as directed by manufacturer.
- Serve warm with Fluffy Hard Sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Variation: Bake in well greased 7" tube pan or 1 qt. shallow mold. (Pudding is delicate and doesn't steam well in deep mold.) Seal snugly with foil.
Fluffy Hard Sauce
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine
- 2 c. sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
- Cream butter; blend in sugar. Add egg yolk and vanilla; beat well.
- Fold egg whites in to creamed mixture. Serve at room temperature. Makes 1-2/3 cups.