Farmers Reporting Fair, Poor Crop Conditions

August 3, 2011 10:36 AM
 
Farmers Reporting Fair, Poor Crop Conditions

This year, many farmers are nervous about the condition of their crops. Lack of rain and extreme heat are stressing crops, according to many farmer reports to AgWeb’s Crop Comments.

“Some crops are really suffering from the long hot/dry spell,” says a Richmond, Ind., farmer.
 
In Decatur, Kan., a farmer has a similar report. “Corn crop getting very dry, losing bu. every day we don't get rain.”
 
The lack of rain around Putnam, Ohio, has been tougher on the corn than soybeans, a farmer reports. “Corn is rolling up, soybeans are doing better than any of the other crops, the hay needs rain or we're not going to get another cutting.”
 
The high temperatures experienced in Polk and Story counties, Iowa, is making one farmer’s corn crop look poor. “Between the wind damage and the continuous high heat since July 14, we are seeing very uneven pollination. That's hard to recover from! I am expecting a poorer corn crop than last year! Beans on the other hand look good, as long as we can catch some timely August rains.”
 
A farmer in DeWitt/McLean Counties Ill., says: “Don't remember having such excellent potential reduced by heat. Corn for the most part hasn't shown stress but the past 2 weeks of heat have shaved at least 1/3 off the yield.”
 
A southern farmer says with the right weather over the next few weeks, his crops could rebound. “We need cooler weather and rain in August,” says a farmer from McNairy County, Tenn. “If we get rain quick crops could be fair.”
 

Crop Condition Poll

The current AgWeb poll question is asking: What condition are your crops in?
 
Here’s an overview of the answers, coming from 2,443 votes:
AgWeb Poll Crop Conditions
 
 
This map displays in which states those polled reside.
Crop Conditions Map   AgWeb Poll
 
Click the map to view an interactive version of the results. Take the poll by visiting the www.agweb.com homepage and scrolling down along the right side.
 

USDA Condition Ratings

According this week’s USDA crop condition ratings, the majority of the U.S. corn crop is rated at good or excellent. Here’s the breakdown:
Excellent 16%
Good 46%
Fair 24%
Poor 9%
Very Poor 5%
 
Around 60% of the U.S. soybean crop has a good or excellent condition rating, and 28% is ranked as fair.
Excellent 14%
Good 46%
Fair 28%
Poor 9%
Very Poor 3%
 
For the U.S. cotton crop, a large percentage is falling below a good condition rating. In fact, 70% of the crop is ranked at fair, poor or very poor.
Excellent 5%
Good 25%
Fair 30%
Poor 18%
Very Poor 22%
 
Less than 10% of the U.S. rice crop has a condition rating of poor or very poor.
Excellent 23%
Good 41%
Fair 27%
Poor 6%
Very Poor 3%
 
A mere 2% of the U.S. sorghum crop is rated with an excellent condition. The remaining 98% is divided pretty evenly between good, fair poor and very poor conditions.
Excellent 2%
Good 22%
Fair 32%
Poor 24%
Very Poor 20%
 

What about you?

How are your crops fairing this summer? Share your comments and read others in AgWeb’s Crop Comments.
 

 

Back to news


 

Comments

 
Spell Check

No comments have been posted to this News Article

Corn College TV Education Series

2014_Team_Shot_with_Logo

Get nearly 8 hours of educational video with Farm Journal's top agronomists. Produced in the field and neatly organized by topic, from spring prep to post-harvest. Order now!

Markets

Market Data provided by QTInfo.com
Brought to you by Beyer
Close