By Russ Euken, Iowa State University Extension beef program specialist
The Iowa Beef Center will offer several workshops focusing on choices in feedlot facilities in February and March 2015.
The workshops, set in various locations throughout the state, will offer an overview of facility types, advantages, and disadvantages; and review the research that has been conducted. Using several scenarios, workshop participants will work on making appropriate choices for an operation including financing decisions, cost benefit measurements, and production and environmental risk management. Tools and decision aids to help producers analyze the choices of facility type and cost will be used and available to participants.
Our aim is to involve producers in working through the decision making process during the workshops and believe they will leave the workshop with more knowledge and tools to make facility decisions for their operation. Those who are considering investing in or upgrading feedlot facilities should benefit.
The workshops are supported by a grant from the North Central Risk Management Education Center. Iowa Cattlemen’s Association and the Coalition to Support Iowa Farmers are collaborators for the grant and this workshop series.
Producers can reserve their spot and meal by contacting your Iowa State University Extension and Outreach beef program specialist. Find your specialist here http://www.extension.iastate.edu/ag/beef The registration fee of $20 per person will be collected at the door.
Unless otherwise noted, the workshops will run from 9:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the following dates at the listed locations.
- Feb. 18, Nashua - Borlaug Center meeting room, Northeast Research Farm
- Feb. 24, Manchester - Delaware County Extension office
- Feb. 25, Dewitt - Clinton County Extension office
- Feb. 26, Ames - Hansen Ag Student Learning Center, Iowa State University
- March 3, Emmetsburg - Iowa Lakes Community College
- March 4, Cherokee - Western Iowa Tech
- March 4, Osceola - Clarke County fairgrounds
- March 6, Oskaloosa - Mahaska County Extension office
- March 9, Tama - Tama County Extension office (workshop times not determined)
- March 18, Lewis - Wallace Foundation Learning Center, Armstrong Farm
- March 25, Carroll - Carroll County Extension office