Nebraska producer Roric Paulman is no stranger to challenges. As a farmer in the water-scarce southwest corner of the state, the 2015 Top Producer of the Year finalist has made it a point to remain proactive. He has invested in irrigation and sustainable approaches to water use, even participating on the Nebraska governor’s Water Sustainability Taskforce.
During a presentation Wednesday, Paulman shared how his operation has grown to include 5,000 acres featuring corn, yellow popcorn, a variety of specialty beans and more:
- Team Approach: Surround yourself with smart people, including invested employees, experts such as CPAs and equipment specialists and more.
- Challenge the Norm: Paulman Farms grows crops for which it sees market demand. Regional soil and water needs also dictate which crops can be planted back to back.
- Combine Technology and Innovation: Identify opportunities to partner on research, and become an early adopter of new technology that might improve your bottom line.
- Diversification: Make a profit and sell, Paulman advises. Look for market opportunities with crops that are sealed with the highest possible quality.
- Risk Management: Paulman’s farm is located square in the middle of a major hail belt. Plan carefully and market strategically to mitigate risk.
To read more news and find additional information on the Top Producer Seminar or Tomorrow’s Top Producer events, visit www.TopProducerSeminar.com.
Thank you to the 2015 Top Producer Seminar sponsors:
Premier Sponsors: Advance Trading, Apache Sprayers, BASF, Bayer CropScience, Cargill, Case IH, Dow AgroSciences, DuPont Pioneer, ESN, Farmers Business Network, Firestone, John Deere, New Holland, Top Third Ag Marketing, Verdesian
Co-Sponsors: CliftonLarsonAllen, Conservis, The Gulke Group, K-Coe Isom, Soybean Premiums, Wyffels Hybrids
Supporting Sponsors: FarmLink