Use the following precautionary measures now to minimize potential flood damage.
- Secure structurally unstable material (i.e., fuel and fertilizer tanks, propane tanks, lumber, equipment).
- Keep surface water out of your well by sealing the well cap, and top of the well casing with heavy plastic and duct tape.
- Turn off all utilities at the main power switch and close gas valves.
- Turn off electrical power, gas and water supplies.
- Leave building doors and windows open at least 2 inches to equalize pressure and help prevent building from shifting.
- If possible, move motors and portable electric equipment to a dry location.
- Retrieve all important farm records.
- Pay close attention to watches and warnings and allow yourself ample time to evacuate.
- If moving animals to higher ground, keep in mind the necessities that those animals will need for an extended period of time (medications, feed stuff, etc.)
- Have facilities lined up ahead of time if needing to move livestock.
Tips are courtesy of the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency and Nebraska Department of Agriculture.
Additional information on preparing for flooding at your farm, as well as tips for agricultural retailers, is available at www.agr.ne.gov