Join the Conversation
“AgriTalk” is live every weekday at 10 a.m. CST on more than 70 stations nationally. To find an affiliate near you or listen online, visit www.AgriTalk.com.
A Hefty Price Tag
Upper Midwest corn, soybean and wheat farmers lost about $570 million this winter due to added demands on the rail network, according to a recent USDA report. Mike Steenhoek, executive director of the Soy Transportation Coalition, provides his take on the study. (March 5 broadcast)
Track 2015 Planting Progress
Farm Journal Media is your one-stop shop for the latest planting news and reports. Keep an eye on which states are making planting progress and check out our planting resources to keep you on target and in the field this spring. Don’t miss:
- AgWeb’s Planting Maps: Using USDA’s weekly Crop Progress reports, the planting maps are updated each Monday afternoon starting April 1 to show the current planting progress for corn, soybeans and spring wheat. They provide a quick visual overview of the planting season.
- Interstate 80 Planting Tour: Join “AgDay TV” as they track spring planting pace across the Corn Belt. National reporter Betsy Jibben will travel to five key corn-growing states along the Interstate 80 corridor to gather from-the-field planting updates, including soil moisture levels, yield goals and comparisons to 2014 crops.
- Crop Comments: A farmer favorite, AgWeb’s Crop Comments lets farmers submit their own crop photos, videos and planting reports. Read comments from around the country to keep tabs on fieldwork, crop conditions, pest outbreaks and more.
- #plant15: Receive the latest planting updates on Twitter and contribute to the online conversation using the hashtag #plant15.
- Online Field Guide: Research weeds, diseases and pests this spring with AgWeb’s Online Field Guide. With our searchable database of more than 200 common crop weeds, pests and diseases, it makes finding a solution to your crop ailment that much easier.
To view these planting maps, updates, resources and much more, visit www.AgWeb.com/planting.
@seedcornJ: Why is it that time flies when [you] only have an hour to plant the last 80 till rain comes, but when [you’re] on a treadmill time seems to go backward?
@MdMcLean1: Well March … let’s have a good month! 50 days and I wanna be planting something and wheat will be green and luscious! #plant15 #highhopes
@GoddessofGrain: My new calling is educating my friends (used loosely) on Facebook about the truth behind GMOs and crop production. Can’t keep quiet anymore.
@CraryAg: Ag Fact: Farm and ranch families comprise just 2% of the U.S. population. #AgFact
Timely Market News
Delivered each Saturday morning, the AgWeb Market Weekly recaps the week’s top news. It also features commentary from market expert Jerry Gulke. Sign up for it and other free eNewsletters at www.AgWeb.com/register.