USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) late this afternoon made available the 2011 Certified Acreage data. We'll have much more on this story and why FSA released this data in upcoming reports.
- WOW!! That was fast. "Soon" was way "sooner" than I expected!!! FSA Certified acres are released!!!!
- OMG! File is HUGE! 3,090 data entries for Alabama alone! File size making it tough to navigate, analyze. Working on it!!
- Looking at N. Dakota data: 3,799 data points! Data includes Prevented Planted Acres, but all crops are mixed. Sorting Yellow Corn now...
- N. Dakota Prevented Plant corn acres of 810,070.95. That's after taking sweet corn and "ornamental" acres out.(All N.D. PP next)
- If I'm reading data right, N. Dakota had 5,571,283.63 Prevented Plant acres on all crops. Alfalfa PP 514.60; Barley 209,621.08
- N.D. 2011 PP acres: Canola 460,541.58; Corn (all) 810,071.60; Soybeans 478,617.07; Wheat (all) 2,924,466.35.
- FSA Certified Acreage data includes 159,608 individual entries. Total certified acres (all crops) 395,777,809.96
- All certified acres includes Puerto Rico and crops like "fallow ground, CRP, Mixed Forage. ANYTHING considered "farmland."
- Total Prevented Planting acres from all crops, all states, +Puerto Rico = "just" 10,612,010.38 of the nearly 396 million planted.
- FSA Certified Acres includes "Failed Acres." Total of all entries = 5,096,524.17 acres.
- Failed Acres from FSA Certified acreage data: All Corn (sweet, yellow, ornamental) 338,043.65; ALL Cotton 2,985,528.75; SB 99,815.11
- Failed acres on All Wheat = 1,268,579.24 acres from FSA Certified Acres Report. (I'm done... for now.)
Please, take some time and look at the data on your own when you get a chance. It is our understanding FSA will update the certified acreage data on a regular basis to keep it as current as possible.
To see FSA Certified Acreage Data: Click here!