Members of the American Hereford Association (AHA) will gather in Kansas City Oct. 30 through Nov. 1 for the 2015 Annual Meeting. Hereford enthusiasts from across the U.S. will enjoy three days of events and activities including educational forums, the Annual Meeting and the National Hereford Show during the American Royal.
Kansas City Marriott Downtown, 200 West 12th Street, will host the event this year. To make reservations at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown, call 1-877-303-0104 and ask for the AHA rate. Reservations must be made by Oct. 6 for the block rate of $114/night.
Friday afternoon an educational forum will kick off the weekend at the Marriott. The educational forum will include a review of genetic evaluations, an update on new Hereford traits and tips for scoring udders.
On Friday night, Hereford breeders will celebrate 20 years of the Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) program and recognize this year’s Hereford Heritage Hall of Fame recipients as well as the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) scholarship winners. The event, Celebrate the Brand at 1501 Wyandotte, will be hosted at the AHA office starting at 5 p.m. with food and drinks followed by the awards program that will begin at 7 p.m.
Saturday, the Annual Membership Meeting, which is open to the public, will start at 9 a.m. During the meeting, state delegates will elect three members to serve on the AHA Board of Directors. The six Board candidates are Pete Atkins, Tea, S.D.; Craig Bacon, Siloam Springs, Ark.; Jim Bellis, Aurora, Mo.; Glen Klippenstein, Maysville, Mo.; Gary Buchholz, Waxahachie, Texas; and Kyle Perez, Nara Visa, N.M.
Buses will be available to shuttle attendees to the American Royal complex for the Ladies of the Royal Sale and the junior Hereford show. The sale starts at 2 p.m. followed by the junior Hereford show that will begin at 5 p.m. at the American Royal complex. The junior show judge will be Travis Pembrook, Fairview, Okla.
Sunday the National Hereford Show will begin at 8 a.m. in Hale Arena at the American Royal complex. Between the female and bull shows, 2014-15 National Show Award winners will be recognized. Prior to the selection of the champion bull, the 2015-16 National Hereford Queen will be crowned.
The National Hereford Show will be judged Dan Shike, Urbana, Ill. For those who can’t make the trip to Kansas City, show results will be available online at Hereford.org.
A block of rooms is also available at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center, 1 E Pershing Road. Reservations can be made by calling 888-627-8538. Please reference “American Hereford: to get the discounted rate of $144/night.
AHA Annual Meeting Schedule of Events
Friday, Oct. 30
- 1 p.m. Educational Forum, Kansas City Marriott Downtown
- Genetic Evaluations: Old and New, Dorian Garrick, Iowa State University Lush Chair in animal breeding and genetics and NBCEC executive director
- New Hereford Traits, Sally Northcutt, Method Genetics LLC
- Scoring Udders and Teats, Bill Bowman, Method Genetics LLC
- 4 p.m. National Hereford Women (NHW) board meeting, Kansas City Marriott Downtown
- 5 p.m. Celebrate the Brand at 1501 Wyandotte, American Hereford Association
Saturday, Oct. 31
- 9 a.m. Annual Meeting, Kansas City Marriott Downtown
- 1 p.m. NHW Annual Meeting, Kansas City Marriott Downtown
- 2 p.m. Ladies of the Royal Sale, American Royal Wagstaff Sale Arena
- 3:30 p.m. 40 Years of Royalty: Celebrating the National Queen Program, American Royal Governor’s Room
- 5 p.m. Junior Hereford Show, American Royal Hale Arena
Sunday, Nov. 1
- 8 a.m. National Hereford Show, American Royal Hale Arena
- 8:30 a.m. AHA Board Q&A session, American Royal Governor’s Room
Source: American Hereford Association