Most fixes to provide feed, water, light, air, space and rest don't have to be expensive:
- Clean waterers daily to ensure high water quality.
- Push up feed one more time per day, especially at night.
- Groom stalls one more time per day to fluff up beds and keep stalls clean.
- Routinely clean lighting fixtures to ensure adequate light.
- Remove walls between facing stalls to provide better ventilation and adequate lunge space.
- Clean and maintain fans for adequate air movement.
- Adjust the angle and height of headlocks and neck rails to allow cows to reach feed.
- If crossover lanes are limited in four- and six-row barns, remove stalls to increase crossover lanes.
- Add waterers if they're limited.