USDA's National Ag Statistics Service says it will suspend a number of statistical surveys in Fiscal Year (FY) 2014, which began Oct. 1 due to ongoing sequester cuts. NASS said it is not able to reinstate the programs that were suspended in March 2013. The suspended reports include:
- July Cattle Report
- Potato Stocks Reports
- June Rice Stocks Report
- All Hops and Hops Stocks Estimates
- Annual Mink Report
- June on- and off-farm stocks for Austrian Winter Peas, Chickpeas, Dry Peas and Lentils
- July acreage forecasts for Austrian Winter Peas, Dry Edible Peas and Lentils
- All Catfish and Trout Reports including Catfish Feed Deliveries and Catfish Processing; however, NASS will publish the annual catfish and trout report using data collected during the census of aquaculture.
- NASS will publish the Non-Citrus Fruit and Nut Annual Summary; however, there will be no forecasts, no preliminary summary and no monthly prices in FY2014.
- NASS will publish the Vegetable Annual Summary; however, there will be no forecasts or monthly prices in FY2014.
NASS explains, "Before deciding upon the program suspensions, NASS reviewed its survey programs against mission- and user-based criteria as well as the timing of data collection with the goal of finding available cost savings and maintaining the strongest data in service to agriculture. The decision to suspend these reports was not made lightly, but it was nevertheless necessary, given the funding situation."