USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) is suspending a number of statistical surveys and reports for the remainder of the fiscal year due to reduced funding caused by sequestration.
"Before deciding upon the program suspensions, NASS reviewed its survey programs against mission- and user-based criteria as well as the amount of time remaining in the fiscal year to conduct the surveys with the goal of finding available cost savings and maintaining the strongest data in service to agriculture. The decision to suspend these reports was not made lightly, but it was nevertheless necessary, given the funding situationm," is states.
Reports impacted include:
- All Catfish and Trout Reports including Catfish Feed Deliveries and Catfish Processing
- July Cattle Report
- Potato Stocks Reports
- All Non-Citrus Fruit, Nut and Vegetable Forecasts and Estimates
- June Rice Stocks Report
- All Hops and Hops Stocks Estimates
- Mink Report
- Milk Production Reports including Production, Disposition and Income
- June on- and off-farm stocks for Austrian Winter Peas, Chickpeas, Dry Peas and Lentils
- July acreage forecasts for Austrian Winter Peas, Dry Edible Peas and Lentils
Juli says: As you can see from the list, the "only" report that your Pro Farmer Editors would cover from this list is the July Cattle Report. I'm very disappointed we won't get this snapshot of the beef industry during this critical time. Without this report, we won't have confirmation of whether or not producers have begun to hold back heifers and expand their herds.