Nebraska Farmland Values Take a 10% Tumble

March 20, 2017 11:16 AM
 
I80_Harvest_Nebraska

According to the 2017 Nebraska Farm Real Estate Market Survey, conducted annually by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, weighted average farmland values have slipped by about 10% compared to 2016. This is the third consecutive year of decline.

Statewide, farmland value averaged $2,805 per acre. Farmland values peaked in 2015 at $3,315 per acre. Declines ranged between 15% in the southeast part of the state to 8% in the northwest part of the state. Survey respondents listed lower commodity prices and concerns about water resources as chief reasons for the declines.

“Survey participants expressed the availability of water for irrigation and policies guiding the utilization of this resource as potentially negative forces in the market value of these two land classes [gravity- and pivot-irrigated] into the future,” writes Jim Jansen, agricultural systems economist in the UN-L’s Agricultural Economics newsletter.

Rental rates also slipped in 2017, ranging from 4% to 9% lower than 2016 rates.

“Negotiating an equitable rental rate remains a challenge for landlords and tenants,” Jansen notes. “For the second year in a row, survey participants noted this dynamic in negotiating rental rates centered on these concerns.”

Related expenses from land ownership, such as rising property taxes, represent a major factor that continues to influence rental rates, Jansen adds.

Back to news


Million Dollar Wildfire Relief Challenge

Click here to learn more about the Million Dollar Wildfire Relief Challenge, and see how you can help in the rebuilding effort.


 

RELATED CONTENT

Comments

 
Spell Check

C.K
bad axe, MI
3/21/2017 07:40 AM
 

  With all the European money coming over hear going it our stock market because of high taxation and euro devaluation, The germens last week want trump to double interest rates in the US to stop the flow, because it's going to bankrupt the euro zone . Yellen said the Fed was going to raise rates from .25% to 3% by 2019. That will double interest rates on farmland purchases, this will cut farmland values in half, because the fed said that only 14% of farmland purchases had a cash component of ether down payment or a full cash deal. The other 86% were all borrowed money on down payment, that's why the credit market debt is 14 times higher than it was in 1980. I hate to sound like a broken record but you would have to get $74,000.00 an acre for all 910 million acres of agricultural land in the US to pay off what's owed on credit in this country. Did all this credit bring utopia in your life?

 
 

Corn College TV Education Series

2014_Team_Shot_with_Logo

Get nearly 8 hours of educational video with Farm Journal's top agronomists. Produced in the field and neatly organized by topic, from spring prep to post-harvest. Order now!

Markets

Market Data provided by Barchart.com
brought-by
Close