Producers are expected to have the opportunity to sign up for the federal Livestock Gross Margin for Dairy program once again in late October.
Source: New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets news release
The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets (NYSDAM), Pro Dairy and county cooperative Extension offices have teamed up around the state to provide multiple opportunities for farmers to learn about the federal Livestock Gross Margin for Dairy or LGM-Dairy crop insurance program.
It is expected that farmers will have the opportunity to sign up for the program once again in late October.
The LGM-Dairy crop insurance program is based on milk income over feed cost, which the program calls a "gross margin." The program covers the difference between the expected gross margin (insurance guarantee) and the actual gross margin for the months the producer selects for coverage, based on the amount of milk the producer chooses to insure.
Dr. Brian Gould, a professor at the University of Wisconsin and a national expert on the program, will give each of the identical live online webinar presentations.
Webinar dates are:
· Monday, Oct. 3
· Wednesday, Oct. 5
· Friday, Oct. 7
· Wednesday, Oct. 12
· Friday, Oct. 14
Meetings start promptly at 11 am.
LGM-Dairy was suspended in April 2011 due to lack of funding. Sales are expected to resume with the beginning of the 2012 federal fiscal year in October. Experts predict that all funding for underwriting costs will be exhausted in the first enrollment opportunity, which starts on Friday, Oct. 28, at 5 p.m. and ends on Saturday, Oct. 29, at 9 p.m.
There are three ways to participate:
1. Producers can go to their county Cornell Cooperative Extension office for a scheduled viewing session with CCE staff. See the listing and contact information below.
2. To participate from a home computer, preregister for the webinars by going to the NYSDAM website at: http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AP/CropInsuranceEvents.html
. Scroll down to the date you wish to participate and click on the registration link. You will receive an e-mail confirming your registration, with instructions on how to join the session. If you have trouble registering, please call NYSDAM at 800-554-4501.
3. After Oct. 3, producers can listen to a recording of the live webinar by going to the Department’s website and clicking on the presentation. See: http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AP/CropInsuranceEvents.html
All educational webinar sessions begin at 11 a.m.
- Cortland Co. CCE Cortland, Sharon VanDeuson, 607-753-5078
· Tioga Co. CCE Owego, Sharon VanDeuson, 607-753-5078
· Tompkins Co. CCE Ithaca, Sharon VanDeuson, 607-753-5078
· Madison Co. CCE Office, Morrisville, Karen Baase, 315-684-3001
· Steuben CCE Office, Bath, Jim Grace, 607-664-2316
· Oswego CCE, Mexico, JJ Schell, 315-963-7286
· Orange Co. CCE Office, Middleton, Jenifer Simpson, 845-344-1234
· Cayuga Co. CCE, Auburn, Dan Welch, 315-255-1183
· Washington Co. CCE Hudson Falls, Sandy Buxton, 518-746-2560
· Columbia Co. CCE Hudson, Steve Hadcock, 518-828-3346
· Chautauqua Co CCE. Jamestown, Ginny Carlberg, 716-664-9502
· Oneida Co. CCE Oriskany, Marylynn Collins, 315-736-3394
· Allegany Co. CCE Belmont, Tom Parmenter, 585-268-7644
· St Lawrence Co CCE Canton, Stephen Canner, 315-379-9192