The company that brought Cotton Candy grapes to the market has six new Price Look-Up numbers for 24 varieties of table grapes, including 10 considered as “novelty” varieties like the Cotton Candy.
International Fruit Genetics (IFG), Bakersfield, Calif., groups the new PLUs into “core” varieties and “novelty” varieties — ones that have unique flavors such as the Cotton Candy or shapes like Funny Fingers that “break the mold” of traditional table grapes.
The Produce Marketing Association and International Federation for Produce Standards assigned the PLUs on May 1, according to an IFG news release. All 24 varieties are seedless.
Grouping the varieties into two categories allow for grower, marketer and retailer flexibility, according to the release.
Core variety PLUs are:
- Red seedless (3496) — Sweet Celebration, Sweet Romance and Jack’s Salute;
- Black seedless (3497) — Sweet Surrender, Sweet Enchantment, Sweet Secrets, Sweet Surprise, Sweet Favors, Sweet Joy, Sweet Magic and Sweet Bond; and
- Green seedless (3498) — Sweet Sunshine, Sweet Globe and Sugar Crisp.
Novelty variety PLUs are:
- Red seedless (3499) — Sweet Nectar, Sweet Mayabelle, Candy Hearts, Candy Snaps and Candy Drops;
- Black seedless (3500) — Sweet Sapphire, Funny Fingers, Candy Crunch and Candy Dreams;
- Green seedless (3501) — Cotton Candy.
“Our varieties are performing well, and retailers and marketers are asking for them by name,” IFG CEO Andy Higgins said in the release. “These PLU codes provide another tool for marketers and retailers to uniquely position our varieties for maximum impact.”