NSP Entering Second Phase of Alleged Dumping Investigation

February 27, 2018 01:29 PM
 
 

Earlier this month, China’s Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) announced they would begin a year-long probe into U.S. sorghum, claiming the grain is being dumped at low prices.

Not long after this announcement, the price of sorghum dropped. For the last several weeks, it’s been one of the topics of key importance for the National Sorghum Producers (NSP).

CEO Tim Lust denies any dumping, and says the organization has a “long-standing relationship with out Chinese customers.”

“We are not illegally subsidizing our farmers,” he said to U.S. Farm Report host Tyne Morgan at Commodity Classic in Anaheim, Calif. “The United States has a long standing tradition of withholding following the WTO process of what’s legal there.”

The first phase of the investigation process is now behind NSP, and NSP and state organizations had to be registered. The second phase of roughly 37 days is set to begin soon, which is a question and answer process. Lust hopes this investigation can wrap up by 2019.

“It’s very hard to predict just how fast this process is going to go,” he said.

Hear what sorghum exports are doing and how dry weather can play into sorghum’s favor on AgDay above.

Back to news


Comments

 
Spell Check

No comments have been posted to this News Article

Corn College TV Education Series

2014_Team_Shot_with_Logo

Get nearly 8 hours of educational video with Farm Journal's top agronomists. Produced in the field and neatly organized by topic, from spring prep to post-harvest. Order now!

Markets

Market Data provided by QTInfo.com
Brought to you by Beyer
Close