Officials: Pressure Washer Fumes Likely Killed Girl at Farm

February 16, 2016 03:55 PM

Officials say fumes from a pressure washer likely caused the accidental death of a 17-year-old girl at farm in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula.

The Traverse City Record-Eagle reports Heather Barley of Buckley died Dec. 18 of asphyxiation from exhaust fumes at the farm where she worked in Grand Traverse County's Grant Township.

Sheriff's Lt. Brian Giddis says a medical examiner determined Barley died of asphyxiation from inhaling "the products of an internal combustion engine, including carbon monoxide." He says it appears the fumes came from a pressure washer running near where she was found.

Following the findings, WPBN-TV reports the investigation into Barley's death has been closed.

Back to news



Spell Check

Sioux Falls, SD
2/16/2016 04:05 PM

  Very tragic but could have been pervented perhaps. RIP dear young lady...


Corn College TV Education Series


Get nearly 8 hours of educational video with Farm Journal's top agronomists. Produced in the field and neatly organized by topic, from spring prep to post-harvest. Order now!


Market Data provided by
Brought to you by Beyer