To prevent bovine tuberculosis at your dairy, according to the California Department of Food and Agriculture:
- Maintain a closed herd.
- Obtain TB-free herd accreditation.
- Isolate and test cattle that are entering the herd.
- Prevent contact between breeding cattle and Mexican feeder cattle, including in the sick pen.
- Prevent contact with cattle of unknown TB status.
- Arrange professional diagnostic workups of suspicious, sick or dead animals.
- Establish a TB screening policy for employees.
- Enhance disease tracing by recording individual animal identification and maintaining accurate records.
Learn more about bovine TB at http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/AHFSS/Animal_Health/TB_Info.html.