10. Tariff Relief Payments of Just 12¢/cwt Announced for Dairy Farmers
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) today announced it first round of tariff relief, set at 12¢/cwt for a half of a dairy farmer’s highest annual production for the years 2011, 2012 or 2013. Reaction to the low rate of tariff relief was swift—and less than complimentary.
9. Three More Dairy Processors Cease Operations Nationally
After 85 years of operation Sunshine Dairy is closing one of its iconic milk processing plants in Portland, Ore. The loss of Sunshine and two other plants results in more than 260 years’ worth of milk processing history being lost.
8. Oregon ‘Mega-Dairy’ Loses Waste Management Permit
With contamination seeping into the soil from overfilled lagoons, the second largest dairy in Oregon, Lost Valley Farm, has only 60 days to remove 13,000 cows and clean their manure management system.
7. PETA Teams with Alicia Silverstone: Brings Animatronic Cow to Schools
Hollywood actress Alicia Silverstone, and the animal rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), are teaming up to spread a message that people should not consume dairy.
6. Michigan Dairyman Sentenced to Prison for Hiring Illegal Immigrants
A dairy farmer in Michigan has been sentenced to serve time in federal prison and pay a hefty fine after hiring undocumented immigrants.