In November 2018, U.S. feedlots set a new record for cattle marketed from feedlots with a capacity of 1,000 head or more. Sales of fed cattle totaled 1.87 million head, the highest for the month since the series began recording in 1996.
December 1, 2018, inventories totaled 11.7 million head of cattle and calves in feedlots with a capacity of 1,000-head or more. This inventory is 2% above Dec. 1, 2017.
The top five cattle feedlot inventory states are:
1. Texas, 2.68 million head
2. Nebraska, 2.6 million head
3. Kansas, 2.36 million head
4. Colorado, 1.01 million head
5. Iowa, 700,000 head
Placements, however saw a dip in November to 2 million head, 5% below a year ago. Net placements were 1.92 million head.
Here’s the break down of November placements:
- Calves less than 600 lb. were 550,000 head
- 600-699 lb. were 495,000 head
- 700-799 lb. were 416,000 head
- 800-899 pounds were 315,000 head
- 900-999 pounds were 115,000 head
- 1,000+ lb.were 105,000 head.
- Other disappearance totaled 80,000 head during November, 13% above 2017.
Click here to see the full report.
Rural Economy Index Climbs But Bankers Ask For More Collateral
President Trump Signs Farm Bill