USDA's Joint Ag Weather Facility has provided the following weekly weather/crop highlights:
EUROPE: Intensifying Drought On The Iberian Peninsula Threatens Winter Grains
- Intensifying drought in Spain further reduces prospects for reproductive winter wheat.
- Dry, mild conditions ease winter crops out of dormancy in Germany and western Poland.
NORTHWESTERN AFRICA: Unfavorable Dryness Persists In Morocco
- Dry conditions in Morocco increase concerns for heading wheat and barley.
- Sunny skies promote winter grain growth in eastern Algeria and Tunisia.
MIDDLE EAST: Rain And Snow Persist
- Rain and snow in Turkey boost soil moisture reserves for wheat and barley.
- Showers favor winter crops in northern portions of Syria, Iraq, and Iran.
FSU: Mild In Ukraine; Cold Weather Persists In Russia
- Mild weather melts much of the remaining snow cover in Ukraine and Belarus.
- Cold weather in Russia keeps winter crops dormant under a moderate to deep snowpack.
SOUTH ASIA: Heat Builds In India
- Seasonably hot weather overspreads much of India, as winter crop harvesting progresses.
EAST ASIA: Winter Wheat Begins To Break Dormancy
- Winter wheat is beginning to break dormancy on the North China Plain.
- Spring corn and rice planting proceeds under warmer weather in southern China.
SOUTHEAST ASIA: Drier Weather In Java, Indonesia
- Drier conditions in Java, Indonesia, favor rice harvesting.
AUSTRALIA: Locally Wet
- In southern Queensland and northern New South Wales, a pocket of dry weather near the border region favors summer crop dry down and harvesting, while rain in surrounding areas slows maturation.
SOUTH AMERICA: Still Too Dry In Southern Brazil; Wet In Central Argentina
- Unseasonable warmth and dryness persist in southern Brazil, hastening maturation and harvesting of soybeans and limiting moisture for secondary corn. However, conditions favor winter corn in most other areas.
- Warm, showery weather continues throughout central Argentina, maintaining adequate to abundant moisture for late-planted corn and soybeans.
SOUTH AFRICA: Showers Bring Localized Relief From Warmth And Dryness
- Scattered showers boost late-season moisture levels for corn and sugarcane, but not all locations benefit.